In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

bohler and stahl

captain1macaptain1ma Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
can anyone identify this gun for me?? i bought it for short money. i was wondering if it was worth anything. the guns seems to have real ivory inlays in it. i will also add the pictures for it. they are high enough resolution that you can zoom in pretty good to see the barrel markings. thanks for any help

p1060628.th.jpg
p1060622.th.jpg
p1060620w.th.jpg
p1060617.th.jpg
p1060616g.th.jpg

if you cant see the barrel markings, ill gladly email the pictures to you. thanks again.

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    European firearms have Proof Marks that can identify country of origin and DOM. Separate stock from receiver to see if you can photograph them.

"Bohler stahl", is just the type of steel that the barrel is made of.
  • Options
    robert smithrobert smith Member Posts: 183 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i noticed the name gartman stamped on the barrel. there was a gunsmith by that name in mcallen texas. he retired around 1975. dont know what year he started. he built alot of custom rifles. that stock looks like some that he built.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The action is a modified Mauser 98 the barrel looks like a factory 30 cal. That was done up at factory where the rib and sights were put on and barrel marked with BOHLER STAHL in a very professional matter but left un-chambered Then the gunsmith Gartman chambered the barrel and crudely marked 30-06 . The workmanship on stock is fairly good but old school 1950's-1960's design The safety is aftermarket to clear scope when mounted & the bolt handle modified to clear a scope . My guess $500.00 + or -
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    captain1ma,

Gartman Arms Co.
    Benko Gartman, gunsmith. Wrentham, Massachusetts.

Old world German gunsmith with a specialty in deep hole drilling for fine double rifles and shotguns. If he is still alive (he was in 2005) he will be in his 90s. He was a child in Germany during WWII but moved to the USA in the 1960s.

You might try calling him. My understanding is that he gave up his license and his daughter was running the place.

GARTMAN ARMS CO INC

570 WASHINGTON ST. RT1,
    WRENTHAM, MA.

Telephone: (508) 384-3791

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ok heres whats under the stock. if you zoom in you can see the marking. dont forget the name incribed under the barrel!

p1060633.jpg
    p1060632.jpg
    p1060631.jpg
    p1060630.jpg
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nononsense
    captain1ma,

Gartman Arms Co.
    Benko Gartman, gunsmith. Wrentham, Massachusetts.

Old world German gunsmith with a specialty in deep hole drilling for fine double rifles and shotguns. If he is still alive (he was in 2005) he will be in his 90s. He was a child in Germany during WWII but moved to the USA in the 1960s.

You might try calling him. My understanding is that he gave up his license and his daughter was running the place.

GARTMAN ARMS CO INC

570 WASHINGTON ST. RT1,
    WRENTHAM, MA.

Telephone: (508) 384-3791

Best.

thank you very much for the info. ill look into it.