In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Commemorative Marine Corp.45 Tribute

Bammer5Bammer5 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
A friend selling his 1911 Springfield Armed Forces Commemorative Marine Corp.45 Tribute" it is in mint condition has 7-8 rounds through it. Has the box, etc. I'm thinking about buying it but need a rough estimate on it's value?

Here is a link http://www.ahffirearms.com/products/AF45MARINE.asp

Comments

• Options
    stegsteg Member Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The current market is flooded with every kind of Colt and pseudo-colt commemorative-especially those issued by America Remembers and dirivative companys. As a result, these guns bring little more than 50% of their original cost, and that is if they are in an absolute mint unfired condition and have all original papers and packaging in good condition. Once they have been fired, and/or don't have all their original papers and packaging in good condition, they lose almost all of their "collectable" value and are valued at the same price as similar models of used guns.
    But, be careful in telling your friend this. You might lose a friend!
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    I don't know who makes the base pistol but as said before a price of $1000 would be about it. They are way overpriced for what they are and will NEVER gain value if bought at the issued price of $1900

I looked at the auction side Colt Mfg pistols about $1000 tops, others $700-800 tops
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Bammer5...as one who owns lots of Colt Commemoratives I can tell you from experience that to hope to keep their value they cannot be shot nor, if a revolver, cannot even be turned! They are "safe queens" that are mean't to be taken out and looked at and admired and maybe in 15/20 years you might, might I say, get back your investment if you follow the previous two rules mentioned. If you don't (and evidently your friend didn't as you mentioned that he has fired a mag or so through it), he shot up the collector value. You now have a used 1911 and the market, as you have heard, it full of them. It is now nothing more than a "shooter" and worth nothing to a collector. But a fine shooter nonetheless and certainly worth something..IMHO about 40% (a bit more if it was a Colt Comm) of what your friend paid for it at the most. Sad news to your friend but hope this helps. Good shooting!
  • Options
    sharpshooter039sharpshooter039 Member Posts: 5,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am about 95% positive those were made by the new Thompson auto ordanace co. Plain ones sell in the $500 range brand new in the box,,Now that that one has been fired it is worth no more than 6 or 7 hundred tops...

yep,, went and found a set on the auction side,,here is all 4 ,,, 5K for all 4
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=156156957
  • Options
    Bammer5Bammer5 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now I know why they call you guys the experts!! Thanks for all the good info in this thread. He paid $700. for it and is selling it for that price. I might have bought had it been worth more but I really need a good carry gun.
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $700 if that.

CP
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    $700 not too bad, it would make a snazzy carry piece. I don't think it would lose too much money at that price.