In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

beretta 92f accurizing

houndsman1houndsman1 Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have an older Italian made Beretta 92f that I would like to make more accurate. My thoughts were night sights, barrel bushing and match barrel and some trigger work. I am not sure on what is the best way to achieve better groups with this gun. Any info regarding this upgrade would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Chris

Comments

• Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by houndsman1
    I have an older Italian made Beretta 92f that I would like to make more accurate. My thoughts were night sights, barrel bushing and match barrel and some trigger work. I am not sure on what is the best way to achieve better groups with this gun. Any info regarding this upgrade would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Chris

I have the same gun (stainless with night sights), and I love it. I love it because it is the only gun I have ever owned that has not had a malfunction (other than a fizzle once). I also love it because it is so easy to break down and put back together.

You have to understand that the things that make the above true mean that it is not going to be a super accurate shooter. The trigger is sloppy and would require a major overhaul to get to target quality. the lockup of the barrel and slide is loose (comparitively speaking), so I don't think a match barrel will have much impact. Maybe if you got a smith to fit the bushing it might work. To see noticeable results, I think your looking at a lot of custom work.

For shooting super tight groups the best two guns I have are a Browning target 22lr, and a Les Baer 1911 hand built from the ground up to be accurate.

Enjoy your Beretta for what it is, a great all around gun. For the cost of making it super accurate, buy something that was meant to be from the beginning.

Plus, that way you'll have 1 more gun, and that's always a good thing.

Tim
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Just doing a trigger job on mine helped me get better groups.
    You might try that first.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The pistol itself (the Model 92) is not really a great platform for making into a target pistol but there are things that can be done to improve it's accuracy. One simple upgrade is to install an adjustable rear sight. Pacmayer, MECGAR and a few oterhs make a good adjustable rear sight that slips into the dove tail on the slide. Beretta also makes a target sight for the Model 92 but it is huge, bulky and costs a ton of cash. The trigger job already suggested will probably make the greatest impression on the range since the stock trigger is nothing to write home about.