In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Good or bad

Rex MahanRex Mahan Member Posts: 529 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in Ask the Experts
Im looking at this post. What is the reason to gwet a C & R? Is there a reason not to get one?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Messed up on the post. I was looking at the C and R questions on another post and intended to reply to it. The above question has to do with getting a C and R
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The major reason behind getting a C&R (a Type 03 FFL) is that it allows certain firearms which are over 50 years old or which the BATFE has determined are of interested to collectors, to be shipped directly to you without the need of a transfer dealer. Some states like CA have restrictions on the use of a C&R FFL, but the cost of $30 for three years and the ability to have guns shipped to your door (saving the transfer charges from a dealer) make the minimal amount of paperwork needed to maintain the license a bargain.
  • Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Direct shipping, whole sale prices, etc. on C&R items. Also some outfits like Midway and Brownells give discounts on orders to C&R holders - I know a couple of guys that have them just for the discounts.

If this is of interest to you, you may want to go to the ATF site and read up on what a C&R firearm is...
  • Options
    JohnnyBGoodJohnnyBGood Member Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rex Mahan
    What is the reason to gwet a C & R?

The main reason is so that you can buy C&R firearms directly (without having to go through a dealer) and have them shipped to your address.

quote:Is there a reason not to get one?

Some people believe the government can "keep tabs" on you.

Johnny
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    You will need to maintain some basic paperwork but it is nothing difficult. Just remember, you will be a collector and not a dealer and buying up a bunch of old Mauser's or Mosin Nagants with the intention of reselling them to buddies to make a couple of extra bucks is exactly what gets guys into trouble with the BATFE.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Do they allow you to sell some # of guns
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have read a few times that you have to inventory all the rifles and hand guns you have in your position. I would think that this would only be the C&R weapons that are yours that would have to go on the listed items in your inventory?

Emmett
  • Options
    edited November -1
    How many guns can you sell with out a license?
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    You can sell or trade C&R guns with the intent to upgrade your collection. For example if I had a old Rem 33 with worn finish and I find a better Rem 33, I can sell the older one since I am bettering my collection. Also I can sell if said gun no longer fits what my collecting interest is.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are more rumors and old wives tales about C&Rs than you can count. NO- you do not have to "inventory" all of your guns, NO, does not open your house up to ATF searches whenever they feel like it.

You must maintain a "bound volume"- a record of what guns you acquire UNDER THAT LICENSE- and those that you dispose of that you got UNDER THAT LICENSE. Mine is a drugstore journal notebook.

The ATF may audit your collection once a year. Unless you are buying 10 Mausers, and selling 9 of them- unusual to have happen. You DO have the option of taking your records and your collection to their office for the audit.

It is NOT a license to "engage in the business" of buying and selling ANY guns. Can you sell some? Yes. How many? No set number. If I decide I don't like SMLEs any more, and want to get rid of mine, I can. Or find a better SMLE, sell the worse one. Buying and selling to make a livelihood? NO.

I travel a lot on business- if I hit a show or a shop while I am traveling, find a nice Colt Woodsman, a Victory Model S&W- I can buy it- even tho I am not a resident of that state- and take possession of it. A C&R FFL permits you to collect in any state. Yes, one or two states have stricter laws. I try to stay away from those. I also shop here and other auctions to feed my addiction to 1940's Mossberg 22 rifles. Mailman brings them to my door.

Does nothing for guns newer than 50 years old, unless they are on the BATF list. But saving one transfer fee pays for the license. Even on face-to-face sales of a C&R, some dealers will drop price a few dollars, since they have minimal paperwork to do- no 4473, just enter it in THEIR bound volume as transferred to my FFL.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thats good. Thank you