In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Russian m44 carbine

CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
edited March 2010 in Ask the Experts
any one have the ballistics on the 7.62x54r

this little sob has a kick to it.[:p]

reminds me of my slug gun[:D]

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    i have a chance to pick one up for $150 + SOME AMMO don't know how much till sat,
    gun is clean and tight don't know why i have been looking at this type but i have.

i know i can get one from J&G around $100-125 (not carbine)+ ship but you don't know what you will get till you get it.

this gun any good

YES
    NO
    MAYBE
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    What ammo are you shooting? I shoot a lot of the light ball 147gr Czech Silver tip and it is not bad at all. I hear the 200+gr stuff has a kick to it.

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    not sure some surplus stuff i got last weekend no label there bronze case, guess i could pull one and see

has a 10 and an 81 on the head
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by CHEVELLE427
    not sure some surplus stuff i got last weekend no label there bronze case, guess i could pull one and see

has a 10 and an 81 on the head

You sometimes can tell the bullet weight of the East Block surplus stuff, by how they color the tips of the bullets. The Silver tips are approximately 147 grains, Yellows 180.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    The 10 code makes me think Bulgarian right off the bat and 81 as the year of production.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    have 3 kinds some were the silver tip match box said (hand written) gray case

they will get your attention.

did go get the 8mm guns and shot a few, could shoot them all day long compared to this little carbine.

not to bad at 100 yd either, did make a difference with the bayonet extended.

it is going to be a fun gun for sure[:p]
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bulgarian Steel core Light Ball, should have a bi-metal jacket too. Watch out shooting in rocky areas, the jackets fragment and burn like road flares. Makes a nice fireball too.

RangePic1.jpg

This is what they do when they hit the rocks:
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v492/whiteclouder/?action=view&current=Sparky.flv
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Try a Steyr M95 carbine with full tilt loads. Makes the Mosin suddenly much more manageable in perspective. [;)]
    Remember that is almost certainly corrosive ammo; treat accordingly.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    looked up the foot pounds of energy it said 14.9 . think that is off some.

i have shot a lot of med size guns from 270 308 3006 243 8mm 45-70

only the 270 and 45-70 reminds me of the kick this one has.
    and slug guns,[^]

not that I'm complaining, just didn't expect it.[:0]
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,260 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not hard to find 30-06 ammo that cranks out more foot-pounds than that 147 grain Mosin Nagant ammo.

But, the little carbine does make a kick.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ballistically, with standard loads the 7.62x54R is roughly on a par with .30-06 rounds, shooting similar sized bullets are similar velocities. That's why the Mosin-Nagant round is often referred to as "the Russian 30'06".

Recoil from the Mosin M44 carbines is harsh, although this is in no small part due to the less than perfectly ergonomic design of the rifle. A recoil pad helps a lot.

There is a tremendous amount of information on this round available on the 7.62x54R net website.

For example, pretty much anything you'd want to know about the Bulgarian ammo in question can be found here, including detailed ballistics information:

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmo036.htm