In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Binocular recommendations

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hi out there---I'm about to invest in a pair of "pretty good binoc's". I'm thinking of 10 x 42, in the $ range of $1,000. I'm also looking for experienced info. relative to clarity, distortion, fov, eye relief as I wear glasses, warr. service., not power. Any recent experience will help. THX HAWKSHAW

Comments

• Options
    wtroperwtroper Member Posts: 736 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I acquired a pair of Zeiss 8x42 and a pair of Leupold Gold Ring 8x42's in the past couple of years. Both are good quality. I prefer the smaller size and lighter weight of the Zeiss and use them the most. However, I believe that the Leupold's are a little better. When I go hunting and am not walking, I take them. Both were around $800 each when I bought them.
  • Options
    MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you know how difficult it is to hold a 10x binoc steady?

That is the reason so many are 7x35. I have settled on 6x.
  • Options
    22hipower22hipower Member Posts: 619 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're using the binocular primarily from blinds and vehicles I'd go with the 10X42. Either Swarovski or Leica have excellent products in 10X42 (all powers really) and as an "all the time" glasses wearer I find those to work well with glasses. You won't get either new for the $1000 you have budgeted but you can get them used for that price and lightly used is as good as new with those manufacturers. I've owned other brands but if you intend to use them a lot you can't go wrong with Swarovski or Leica. I don't find it difficult to hold the 10X42s steady but when I'm going to be walking a lot I go with 8X30s as they're lighter and less bulky. Again, you can't beat Swarovski or Leica if you're going to be using the binocular for long periods.
  • Options
    carbine100carbine100 Member Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Swarovski http://www.samplelist.com/Binoculars-C5.aspx#Swarovski $1200

Leica http://www.samplelist.com/Binoculars-C5.aspx#Leica

Same warranty, lower prices on the sample list. Both of these brands are top shelf.
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have pentax DCF SP 8x43 and minox BR 8x32. these are each in the midrange price level, roughly around half of your 1000. i am rather picky about optics and find these very satisfactory even at low light at long range (kansas) and/or thick brush. not sure what the extra 500 gets your for hunting purposes. certainly I concur that 10x is too much to hold steady and that 6X to no more than 8X is far better.
  • Options
    HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    As far as "am I aware of how dificult it is to hold 10X steady"---I thought that was why god made boulders, tree limbs, and recently, shooting stix. I hunt the desert in E. Oregon, and spend most of my time glassing. Up to now I've used Leupold GR 12x50 to great effect. I've used 10x40's , and that is not the issue, they work great for me, with a rest. THX HAWKSHAW
  • Options
    TWalkerTWalker Member Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had never owned a good pair of binoculars until 5 years ago when I bought a pair of Swarovski 8 power. Honestly, it has been the best money I have ever spent on anything related to hunting. I could never do without good binoculars again. They are very easy to use for eyeglass wearers like myself. If I ever buy another pair they will be Swarovski's. Mine were bought used and cost less than half your bugeted amount.
  • Options
    Ed_HiltonEd_Hilton Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi I have a pair of Cannon IS in 18 power. The IS is amazing no support need to hold staedy and see. I recently was looking at an eagle and could actually see him with his mouth open and tongue out!
    Check out some image stabilized Binoculars.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    About 20 years ago I bought a set of Leica Trinovid 7 x 40 BA Binoculars, which are green rubber armored. These have been around the wordl with me a few times, survived such hot spots as Albania and Kosovo and while they look a bit rough from wear, the optics are still perfect. Ten power is fairly strong for general use and I'd be thinking more of 7-8 power. Good glass is much easier on the eyes and allows you to look through the optics for much longer periods without straining the eyes and a friend of mine, who's wife is an avid bird watcher (and those folks look through binos for very long periods of time), suggested the Leica brand and I have been nothing but satisfied. A top quality set of binos will last you through your entire lifetime (and probably into your grand kids if they take care of them) so money invested in high end glass easily pays for itself over the course of decades. With a $1K spending cap you should be able to find something really nice.
  • Options
    Ed_HiltonEd_Hilton Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi I have a pair of Cannon IS in 18 power. The IS is amazing no support need to hold staedy and see. I recently was looking at an eagle and could actually see him with his mouth open and tongue out!
    Check out some image stabilized Binoculars.