In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

On line S&W breakdown videos

burchieburchie Member Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
Is there any good web sites or videos I could watch to learn how to field strip a model 63 .22 4".
Serial #BPB25xx
I have saw the ones by Midway showing some of the repair/mods. but was looking for others showing more in-depth or detail photos.
Thanks,
Dave

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In general, modern revolvers don't need to be "field stripped", and there is no need to disassemble them for ordinary cleaning and maintenance.

That's because the revolver lockwork/mechanisms are nearly entirely enclosed, tending to seal out dirt, and seal in lubricant. That's one of their biggest advantages.

Cleaning of the bore, chambers, and cylinder gap/barrel breech is all you really need for routine maintenance. Maybe every once in a while you can take the crane and cylinder off for cleaning if the cylinder doesn't spin freely, but doing that is pretty simple and only requires a screwdriver.

Unless you were to accidentally entirely "kerplunk" the revolver in water, or feel that there is something wrong with the revolvers' function, there is no need to open one up. For the vast majority of shooters, trying to disassemble a revolver is probably a lot more trouble than its worth.

Now, should you want to do this anyway, I'd suggest getting a copy of the excellent Kuhnhausen revolver shop manual to assist you:

314178.jpg

Edit: If you must have a VIDEO explaining how to do this, there is one from the American Gunsmithing Institute that explains trigger jobs on Smith revolvers, and that probably covers it. There *might* be a video like you want on you-tube, but you can search for it yourself.
  • Options
    burchieburchie Member Posts: 195 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well the problem being that I recently acquired a 63 4" .After about 300 rounds the cylinder and crane came apart. Now I have the extremely rare two piece S&W .22.
    I am a Toolmaker by trade, working with scientist and Doctors in the R&D field.
    Finding out why I have the rare fore-mentioned two pieced .22 is crucial to making sure that the next time I try to fire it, the damned thing doesnt blow up in my hand!
    Can/will any one else offer up any advice?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not exactly sure what parts are no longer connected, but I suspect that the ejector rod has unscrewed. Replacing it is like brain surgery: see one, do one, teach one.

It will be easy if the ejector star is still in the cylinder. Note the alignment pins on the cylinder, & put a couple of fired cases in the cylinder at this point to prevent the ejector star from rotating. The important thing here, is that the ejector rod has a left hand thread, so gently reinstall it by turning counterclockwise, as it is easily bent.

If this doesn't give you what you need, maybe you want to post photos of the parts for us.

Neal
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by burchie
    Well the problem being that I recently acquired a 63 4" .After about 300 rounds the cylinder and crane came apart. Now I have the extremely rare two piece S&W .22.
    I am a Toolmaker by trade, working with scientist and Doctors in the R&D field.
    Finding out why I have the rare fore-mentioned two pieced .22 is crucial to making sure that the next time I try to fire it, the damned thing doesnt blow up in my hand!
    Can/will any one else offer up any advice?

What Nmyers said. . .I agree with his empirical diagnosis (likely unscrewed cylinder rod), and proposed therapy, except for one thing*

Maybe this will help you?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48RonTLJ-CU

The older Smiths were perversely designed with a cylinder rod thread that would tend to unscrew with the normal rotation of the cylinder. Smith eventually got around to redesigning its guns to fix that problem, but on older guns, the thing can work itself loose with normal use. Usually it causes lockup of the cylinder rather than falling all the way out, though.

If that is the problem, in fixing this, a bit of loctite in the right place (some people use nail polish, though it isn't quite as durable) should help keep the thing from inadvertently re-loosening.

Note that other parts failures are possible, but in any case, I doubt you'd have to actually disassemble the "guts" of your revolver if the problem is that the cylinder has fallen off.

*The medical saying of "see one do one teach one" is true, but it applies to qualified individuals only. If you're already a neurosurgeon or maybe an advanced neurosurgical resident, then sure, you could see one type of brain surgery once, then be ready to do it and teach it. But you have to be "ready" for it! I've actually seen a brain surgery. . .NO WAY should I actually be attempting to do or teach one!