In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Herters U9 Supreme Value

worstenemy453worstenemy453 Member Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have someone interested in trading me one of these for a tool box i have valued at $950.

How much is this rifle worth so i know what to ask for. Its in a .458 Win Mag caliber.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    NOT $950.00 IMHO.'
    EDIT Made by BSA but just like a Winchester made model 1894 sold with sears name on it . Herters U9 will not bring what a BSA will bring and I think the BSA is a $500.00-$600.00 rifle. YMMV
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I knew it wasnt worth that much but we are trying to work out cash or other guns but i need to know what this one is worth.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by worstenemy453
    I knew it wasnt worth that much but we are trying to work out cash or other guns but i need to know what this one is worth.

From personal experience .458 Win isn't a fun gun to shoot, and is way expensive even if you reload. Because of this the pool of potential buyers is limited at best. Unless you run across a "hot one" who just has to have it, you might be stuck with it until it grows roots in your gun rack.

Re the above, I would value it $400 tops depending on the cosmetics and quality of the rifle. Being Herters use to sell the the actions separately, it was probably built by a hobbyist as a home shop project, which could also have a negative affect on it's potential value.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This is what he says.

quote:ood luck finding a Herters .458 online. The only other Herters U9 Supreme Ive ever found was on Gunbroker, a 30.06, and Im not sure what it ended up going for, but the buy it now price was $600. Mine is in excellent condition. Ive not yet shot it, as it has a high and sharp comb over stock RH, and i'm a lefty. I have 2 boxes of rds for it. 300gr HPs, and 405gr JSPs.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is what he says.

quote:ood luck finding a Herters .458 online. The only other Herters U9 Supreme Ive ever found was on Gunbroker, a 30.06, and Im not sure what it ended up going for, but the buy it now price was $600. Mine is in excellent condition. Ive not yet shot it, as it has a high and sharp comb over stock RH, and i'm a lefty. I have 2 boxes of rds for it. 300gr HPs, and 405gr JSPs.

Talk about gilding the freeken lily, this guy has a line of bull a mile wide. Must be a lawyer/politician[xx(] or some other kind of bottom feeder, when he isn't trying to stick folks with turd rifles.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I think Karl is pretty close on value. I have a U9 in 300 Win Mag. Bought it when I was home on leave headed for Viet Nam, 1968, it was sold by Herters. BSAs don't have a great deal of value on the used rifle market, not because of quality, just because there no real collector value. I would say $600 would be a top end price. Look at condition and use your own judgment.
    I wouldn't sell mine for that price, it shoots better than most of the pre 64 model 70s I have. I've eaten alot of elk because of that rifle.
    W.D.
  • Options
    kawiramkawiram Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rufe-snow
    This is what he says.

Talk about gilding the freeken lily, this guy has a line of bull a mile wide. Must be a lawyer/politician[xx(] or some other kind of bottom feeder, when he isn't trying to stick folks with turd rifles.

A line of bull eh? I assure you I am none of the things you mentioned. I was nothing but honest with worstenemy453. Just couldnt make the deal, as quite frankly I cant see a toolbox that old, despite the name brand, being worth $950. Thats just me, same as my .458. Its worth whatever someone will pay, not what some book, or some random guy says its worth. You think its a turd rifle, fine, I know better. Next time, Id be a bit more careful about how you talk about people you dont know, or deals that you dont have the whole story on. And worstenemy453, I understand you checking out the value, but I dont appreciate you throwing my PMs around. Hope you find a good home for your toolboxes.
  • Options
    kawiramkawiram Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I see noone has responded to my reply.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    let me post reply No 10 so we can close this out. Get a life[:(!][V][:(][:o)] These forums are for opinions on what would be correct answer not to get in a pissing contest if some one disagrees with you. Please lock this post. moderator
  • Options
    Wolf.Wolf. Member Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    KAWIRAM,
    Sorry you had this experience. I can understand your being upset and there is nothing to be gained in making a dogfight out of it.

Many of these guys, myself included, are simply looking out for folks who ask questions. Sure, we may speak out of turn (if that's what you want to call it) from working off of only the info offered by the questioner and trying to work quickly. No one really is out to insult others.

This incident mnay turn out in your favor, as you will probably wind up either keeping the gun or making a better deal for it later.