In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

VZ 24 Bolt

DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hey guy's had a question, I bought a VZ 24 8mm Mauser in absolute perfect condition a while ago, and I was wondering, would a bent bolt from a standard K98 fit the VZ 24 since they're essentially the same rifle? I was thinking about putting a scope on it and I need a bent bolt for it to fit correctly so I was just curious if a K98 bolt would fit as that would make it a whole hell of a lot easier than going through the process of getting the existing bolt bent.

Comments

• Options
    DerBarbarianDerBarbarian Member Posts: 289 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey guys I'm thinking about putting a scope on m VZ24 and I was wondering if a Bolt from an actual K98 with the bent bolt handle would fit on the VZ24, they're essentially the same rifle more or less and I wouuld love to get this going so I can get a scope and get it setup.
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, but it may change the headspace, so check it before shooting it. The safety may have to be adjusted too.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    My answer is the same as when I answered your question a few days ago.

A 98k bolt will fit the action, but you still have to verify headspace. Also the swept down bolt will require relieving some wood from the VZ-24 stock. It still won't offer enough clearance for a scope unless a scout style is used, you need a special sporter profile bolt handle for that.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What we need is a little show & tell.

This is a comparison of a straight bolt handle to an original bolt built for scopes:

mauserbolthandleshapeco.jpg

Comparison of forged to factory from the rear:

mauserbolthandlebending.jpg

Comparison from the side:

mauserbolthandlebending.jpg

Here is how the Germans handled the handle:

mauseroriginalbolthandl.jpg

The original Mauser bent bolt handle with the radius was never intended to accommodate a scope. The radius will hit the scope every time.

Forging an existing straight bolt will generally leave you with a shorter bolt handle, enough so that it's uncomfortable to grab and use to cam the bolt. Even if you chose to forge the existing handle you will still need some significant filing to make it decent, too short but decent.

The best solution is to cut off the bolt handle and weld on a new commercial handle using a fixture to get it in the right place. You will need to make some changes in the action and the stock in order to fit the new bolt handle correctly.

Best.