In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 1873 rifle (after seeing rifle)

Floyd58523Floyd58523 Member Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
I have an opportunity to purchase a 1873 rifle serial number 453x. This is an octagon barreled rifle. The dust cover is a raised thumb print barrel is in good condition rifling is intact. It is missing springs for the trigger a couple of pins.
The gun is in the brown and not pitted. Picture sent to me is not very good. I am going to meet with the gentleman. He is asking 2500 or make an offer.
I am thinking that a gun with parts needed is worth $ 600 to 900. Looking for input.
[img][/img]winchester1873.jpg
By floyd58523 at 2011-04-27

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Four digit serial for 2 grand with only needing some pins and springs. [?]I would think most anybody that had such a gun would invest a small amount of money to get some original parts and a GOOD gunsmith to repair but NOT try to refurbish . and then the rifle would be worth much more . Sort of like trying to sell a Garage find 57 Chev. Bel Air convertible with one flat tire and a fogged up rear window something just seems strange. [:0]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    He said he picked it up at a flea market. When he posted it for sale He didnt know much about it but that it would be worth a lot if refurbished. I picture is up.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Floyd,

The raised thumb print mortise cover is worth more than what you think the entire gun is worth... seriously. The $2500 asking price appears to be quite reasonable to me.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    look at auctions and see the prices..
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Update after looking at rifle. Barrel has been cut back and front site slot redone not factory. The rear site replaced with and unmarked rear site. Barrel has good rifling no finish just in the brown on rifle and magazine tube. Reciever has 20% blueing on the reciever no pitting. The thumb cover in good condition. The screws look like replacements. He had the trigger group out in a box looked original with blueing. Wood appeared not to have been sanded or if very little, proud everywear except bottom of butplate. Front handguard had a small chip out of it. He will sell it for $ 1500.00.
    Barrel had 1860 as patent date.
    It is missing screws, and 2 springs. The latch to hold the lever. But plate had slot for cleaning rods.
    Now is it a good deal or pass? 44-40
  • Options
    brotus2brotus2 Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 34 Win levers. I would pass. I've seen a lot of CLEAN fine '73's for $1,500. The low number is nice but the cut down barrel turns me away unless is factory done and you have proof of that.
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    pass.... never said what caliber????
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fordsix
    pass.... never said what caliber????

All of the First Model 1873s were 44 W.C.F.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Floyd58523
    Update after looking at rifle. Barrel has been cut back and front site slot redone not factory. The rear site replaced with and unmarked rear site. Barrel has good rifling no finish just in the brown on rifle and magazine tube. Reciever has 20% blueing on the reciever no pitting. The thumb cover in good condition. The screws look like replacements. He had the trigger group out in a box looked original with blueing. Wood appeared not to have been sanded or if very little, proud everywear except bottom of butplate. Front handguard had a small chip out of it. He will sell it for $ 1500.00.
    Barrel had 1860 as patent date.
    It is missing screws, and 2 springs. The latch to hold the lever. But plate had slot for cleaning rods.
    Now is it a good deal or pass? 44-40

What is your intent?

If you were looking to buy it and then immediately re-sell it, the $1500 price tag is near the top-end of what you should pay.

If your intent is to buy it and keep it, $1500 is very reasonable.

Parted out, it most likely is worth close to $2200 (not that I advocate that option).
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you for the input. I was looking at buying it and throwing it into the safe. With the condition issues I will pass. The owner was going to take it to a local gunsmith who is skilled in Old Winchesters. He will not refinish it and put the parts back into it and then sell it. He buys at flea markets and sells what he buys. I told him to sell it on gunbroker. He know he can get at least $ 1500 out of parting it out. The dust cover is in great shape. If he lets me know I will put a link to it when it comes up for sale.