In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1936 ss dagger

reeglereegle Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
does anyone have an idea of the authenticity of the chained ss dagger currently on auction, i see the reserve is met at 2k, there are so many reproductions and some are very well made, dont want to place a bid if anyone is suspect of it, it looks pretty good, but would like a second opinion. thanks for the help

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is 12 of them....which one?
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Need to have a pro check it out with a with a hands on. A two dimensional auction photo, not likely to be that accurate with the high quality fakes that are floating around. I wouldn't be paying any attention to the high bids on the auction. To many scamers use shill bids to make their crap look like a screaming deal.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by reegle
    does anyone have an idea of the authenticity of the chained ss dagger currently on auction, i see the reserve is met at 2k, there are so many reproductions and some are very well made, dont want to place a bid if anyone is suspect of it, it looks pretty good, but would like a second opinion. thanks for the help

reegle...welcome to the Forum and thanks for your question. Rufe has it right...so many of these are reproductions...and many are really good fakes...that I made an agreement with myself that I would NEVER buy one without either personally looking it over or buying one from a person/firm that could trace the history of the object for me and would stand behind (in other words, give $ back) if proven a fake. So much of the WWII stuff is faked today that one has to assume, until proven otherwise, that what looks real is not. So, one should not assume that things are what they are without verification. If they can't give it, walk. Recently turned down a UBoat flag as the seller could not prove the provenance. Remember the famous statement..."a sucker born every day."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    thanks gary, im a beginner and dont want to be a sucker, thats why i ask, your points are excellent and i see there is no return, shame its so hard to have a hobby quote:Originally posted by gary wray

reegle...welcome to the Forum and thanks for your question. Rufe has it right...so many of these are reproductions...and many are really good fakes...that I made an agreement with myself that I would NEVER buy one without either personally looking it over or buying one from a person/firm that could trace the history of the object for me and would stand behind (in other words, give $ back) if proven a fake. So much of the WWII stuff is faked today that one has to assume, until proven otherwise, that what looks real is not. So, one should not assume that things are what they are without verification. If they can't give it, walk. Recently turned down a UBoat flag as the seller could not prove the provenance. Remember the famous statement..."a sucker born every day."
  • Options
    edited November -1
    hey sand, its at about 2k right now, no return policy, looks good but dont like that quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hey sand, its at about 2k right now, no return policy, looks good but dont like that quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior

I see which one. I'm just amazed at the two going for 8k and 14k.... I know there is collecting but come on folks.... It's a knife. A piece of flat steel. Granted the handle, hilt and pommel aren't everyday stuff, nor the etching on the blade. But, this is half of some peoples yearly income.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i hear ya bro, and im not rich, id like to get an original, you see the prices, insane, its sad there is so many fakes and people passing them as real, im not trying to get screwedquote:Originally posted by sandwarrior

I see which one. I'm just amazed at the two going for 8k and 14k.... I know there is collecting but come on folks.... It's a knife. A piece of flat steel. Granted the handle, hilt and pommel aren't everyday stuff, nor the etching on the blade. But, this is half of some peoples yearly income.
  • Options
    SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    These sell for about 5 to 8K in militaria collecting circles for even a well worn example. The low reserve and no return would be a big red flag for me.