In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

What am I missing about a Rem. 740......

Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
or a Savage 840?

Both of these are decent working guns that are bringing around $200.00 each.

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Whats the question Bill? I like the 340's and 840's while I don't like the 7400/740/742's, aside from that, I am a trifle confused?
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They were 'cost lessening' rifles in their day and won't bring a premium price probably for a long time. They are utilitarian like a tool. And unfortunately, that is reflected in the prices. I like the Savage 340 and 840 (Sprgfld?) but not so much the 740/7400. But, a ton of people up here in MN liked them. They are all over up here.

It's not always about rarity. Some things aren't that rare yet, bring a premium and some things may be rare but don't have that 'name-branding' behind them. That lowers demand and thus price.
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I feel they are very well suited for their purpose, well made, but just do not show their "value" in the "price".

I own 1 of each, BTW, in addition to a few other "sleepers", and I think I'll just hold on to them and not try for retirement- type $$$$ for them.
  • Options
    41 nut41 nut Member Posts: 3,016
    edited November -1
    The 742 shows its resale value. Which is low due to them not having been produced for a long time and the fact that the majority of them are just plain worn out now. They have always had a reputation for jamming, despite the fact that most jams were caused by poor ammo, lack of cleaning or shooting too hot a handload.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Bill Jordan
    Well, I feel they are very well suited for their purpose, well made, but just do not show their "value" in the "price".

I own 1 of each, BTW, in addition to a few other "sleepers", and I think I'll just hold on to them and not try for retirement- type $$$$ for them.

That is a misconception about the Remington 740, 742, and 7400 lines. They were made for a certain group...hunters who only shoot the rifle very few times a year, and end up with a shot count total of 300-400 in their lifetime. The bolts are harder than the internal reciever rails, and they literally eat themselves from the inside out. If kept meticulously clean, they will last for possibly a 1000 rounds, but most guys that own them are lack on cleaning. They use it in hunting season, and stick it back in the gun cabinet untill next year. Some run a bore cleaning on them, and wipe them down, but they are never field stripped(forearm off, and trigger group removed), and cleaned.

Living here in the North East, those rifles were/are popular in a lot of area's. I have seen a lot of them thru the shop(and Remington auto loading shotguns). You would be amazed at what can collect under the forearm, and inside the reciever! My late father, was a prime example of the above...always wanted the semi-auto, fast follow up shot, had to have it...there was no other way. He hunted hard in all climates, and environments. He was always bitching too, of a FTF, or failure to cycle. When I took his rifle apart, the pine needles, and berry seeds, and pricker's under the forearm, lint, and tar looking grease from condensed oil attracting dust, and etc in the action...because he tried to dilute the situation by spraying more oil in there. From my experience, he was just one of many.

So yes, it was a little of how they were maintained, in conjunction of the design that give these rifles the reputation they have earned. Remington has not done much about it either, except minor worthless changes, and giving it a new Model number, Hence 740 to 742 to 7400(and Model FouR), and now the 750.

There are seveeral other threads pertaining to these rifles in this forum...at least a dozen. If you use the search function, you can find them.

Best