In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

16 gauge question!

GarthGarth Member Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
I became the heir to my grandpa's old 16 gauge clone auto 5. My grandpa passed a few years ago. He was a pastor! The story my grandma told me was that a farmer in his congregation gave it to him as a gift. It says ranger on one side of the receiver with a picture of a cowboy sitting on a saddle. I'm guessing its manufacturer was sears(youth model) or savage. The serial numbers escape me as its not with me at the moment. Any info on approximate value, manufacturer, or age would be appreciated. Thanks to all!

Comments

• Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage did make the models 720 Standard and 726 Upland Sporter, both Browning A-5 style shotguns. They were made from about 1930 to 1949. Value about $200 in very good condition.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Unfortunately small town mentality being what it is, both the farmer, and my grandpa never took care of , or cleaned their firearms. I remember it being in worse than rough shape while shooting it with my grandpa when I was a lot younger. Once it was handed down to me, it was in deplorable condition. It would sometimes fire the chambered shell and sometimes not. When a factory screw would fall out/off of the receiver, it would remain missing. Needless to say, there was no other alternative except to have it refurbished by a gunsmith! Now its mechanically sound. Is it chambered for 2 3/4 or 2 9/16 shells?
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Chambered for 2 3/4 loads. Try putting it on some newspapers and spray it down with rust solvent. Wrap it up with the rust remover on leave for a few days...

Then give it a good old fashioned gun cleaning. Have Fun it sounds like a nice heirloom.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wet with KROIL (not the wood, just the metal) let soak for a day, rub down with clean coarse cloth, changing places on the cloth as needed. For more stubborn rust, a COPPER pot scrubber (Chore Boy) DO NOT use Naval Jelly. It will remove rust, also every trace of bluing.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thankyou for all the reply's. In the end, I had it restored by J and T Custom in Odessa Florida. My gunsmith did great work! Its appearance resembles something right out of the browning manufacturing plant. Can't wait to hunt with it soon. While my grandpa was alive it took hundreds of pheasant and quail and one or two deer. Last but not least where do I find reasonably priced 16 gauge shells? I can't find them in any of the "regular" places. Occasionally when I do find them, the prices are highway robbery.
  • Options
    bigdaddy75069bigdaddy75069 Member Posts: 161 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    One more question, exactly which 16 gauge load/s should be fed through this ol' shotgun? It is inertia operated after all! Thankyou all for your replys!
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    "It is inertia operated after all! Thankyou all for your replys"...........THIS WAS A RECOIL SPRING SET UP JUST LIKE THE BROWNING A-5, IT HAS A 'LIGHT' SET-UP AND A 'HEAVY' SET-UP. CHECK THE BROWING WEB SITE FOR THE PROPER 'RING' LOCATION.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes, there is one big spring under the forward handguard. No, its not a "spring setup"! First of all, F.Y.I. its inertia operated. In other words there is no gas system in these auto 5 type shotguns like were all familiar with in an 1100 remington shotgun. Second, the question was which load/s should I shoot in this old shotgun as to avoid short cycling/jams once in the field? Dram weight is important in this situation.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Garth
    Yes, there is one big spring under the forward handguard. No, its not a "spring setup"! First of all, F.Y.I. its inertia operated. In other words there is no gas system in these auto 5 type shotguns like were all familiar with in an 1100 remington shotgun. Second, the question was which load/s should I shoot in this old shotgun as to avoid short cycling/jams once in the field? Dram weight is important in this situation.

No, F.Y.I., it is NOT INERTIA operated. It is short recoil operated. Inertia is like the Benelli's(there is no gas there either), where the inertia, actually unlocks something. Short recoil, for the most part it is a blowback type of operation, but the barrel is not fixed, and moves with the bolt.

And YES, the sleeve that is about an inch long, that goes in front of the spring, goes one way for light loads, and the other for heavy loads(like MIKE WISKEY was referring to). It regulates by friction. If left in the light load posistion, and shot with heavy loads, and fired a lot, the gun will beat itself to death.

Best