In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 290

johnnypukejohnnypuke Member Posts: 10
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
Thinking about picking up a Winchester 290 since they seem to be dirt cheap. Any reason why they are so cheap in price? Are they a Winchester Lemon or are they a good quality Rifle?

Thanks for any comments. Seldom_Seen_Slim

Comments

• Options
    1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good guns...just utilitarian and inexpensive, Winchester built them to a price point to compete with the Savage/Marlin/Stevens?Remington bargain priced guns. To my knowledge, there are no real issues with the 290's at all. Again, just plain, simple and utilitarian.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They haven't been made since the 70's. Never had the greatest rep even when they were in production. Unless you can pick one up in a super deal, and you know for a fact that it's functional, I would pass on it.
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Found one in one of my storage units, guy had written me a bad check, put his stuff in storage and left town. I gave it to a friend of mine and he's shot it for 10 years whithout an issue.
    W.D.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trigger pull exceeds the readings of most trigger pull gauges, I'm guessing 20+ lbs. This problem can't be fixed.

Neal
  • Options
    Seldom_Seen_SlimSeldom_Seen_Slim Member Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi Guys, My name is now Seldom_Seen_Slim. I got rid of that God awful johnnypuke which was a typo anyway. I meant to hit the "I" when I registered but I hit the "U" in error and I didn't notice it until too late.
    Same name selling here as well.

Thanks