In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need Info About Selling Clips

A Junkee ShoppeA Junkee Shoppe Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
I read through some of the Gun Broker info and did not find the answer. Hopefully this is the proper forum to put this in.

I have some AK clips I want to sell. I want to list them here for sale.

My 1st question is, "Can ammunition clips be sold directly or does an FLL have to be involved?".

My 2nd question is, "Does the buyer need to produce the FLL or does the seller have to produce the FLL if an FLL is needed to sell my AK ammunition clips?".

That's all for now. I'm not familiar with selling actual gun parts. I've sold some accessories. I know there's regulations concerning parts that actually make the gun fire but all is unclear to me.

Thanks, I don't know about my ammunition clips and would like to unload them.

Comments

• abcguns2abcguns2 Member Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK ,
    Are you talking "clips" or "magazines" ???
    There is a difference !
    And , What is a FLL ??? do you mean a FFL ( licensed gun dealer)?
    But,,,
    Either can be sold without a 'dealer' being involved !!!
    The only thing is that some states do NOT allow sales of 'high cap' magazines ??? (Generally speaking : more than 10 rounds).
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns...............a.k.a.................SKEEZIX...
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Athens , Tn

www.allamericangunshop.com ... www.glocklawenforcement.com
  • A Junkee ShoppeA Junkee Shoppe Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by abcguns2
    OK ,
    Are you talking "clips" or "magazines" ???
    There is a difference !
    And , What is a FLL ??? do you mean a FFL ( licensed gun dealer)?
    But,,,
    Either can be sold without a 'dealer' being involved !!!
    The only thing is that some states do NOT allow sales of 'high cap' magazines ??? (Generally speaking : more than 10 rounds).
    Thanks !!!
    d.a.stearns...............a.k.a.................SKEEZIX...
    Gunsmith / LEO
    Athens , Tn

www.allamericangunshop.com ... www.glocklawenforcement.com

Sorry, I guess you would refer to them as magazines.

Yes I mean FFL.

I live in Nevada, you know, "Harry Reid" and all the liberal gun haters [:(!] I hope 'ol Harry didn't ban my clips.

This is the info I need to find out.

Is the sale of magazines that hold more than 10 rounds banned from in state sales, out of state sales or both? I don't even know if these mags hold over 10 rounds yet.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Generally the magazines can be shipped directly to the buyer. There are some states which have magazine capacity limits; CA being one of those, and to ship a magazine over 10 rounds into CA means that the buyer must have an FFL and produce it (send you a copy). Other states with magazine restrictions may or may not have similar regulations requiring an FFL for purchase.

The simple way to Cover Your * is to make sure that your listing includes a statement to the effect that the magazines cannot be sold where prohibited.
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy Junkee,

Welcome here, and a very good question and to knnow the correct answer to keep you outta the pokey or from getting fined.

Terminology: clips, magazines, and stripper clips all hold cartridges, yet are different in configuation, & their style of purpose. Use the search tool here in this forum, as this question was addressed not long ago. A search also on Google-Image may show you what they look like.

Laws per state, and local jurisdictions, (county, city), do indeed differ. 'Specially with "high capacity" magazines that hold over 10 rounds, as ABC pointed out. So, best to know both your and potential buyers info on this.

FFL, being federal, not required. I stand corrected.

EDIT PICS-- yes, Junkee, those are Chi-com 30-round AK magazines. Follow advice given and should be good to go.

45er
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can legally ship mags to an FFL holder in any state, even in those states where they are not legal.

Or, you can look up the legality of the buyer's state in ATF P5300.5 on the ATF website. Instate sales, or "importing" them, depends on the state.

Or, you can just state in your Gunbroker ad, "Will only ship to states where legal", & assume that only those who are legally able to receive them will bid.

Or, you can take your chances, as the legality of restricting the shipping of mags from another state is unconstitutional (my opinion only), but has never been challenged in a federal court.

But, if you don't what gun the mags are for, & you don't know how many rounds they hold, & you don't know how to post photos, you might as well drop them in the trash, because you aren't going to sell them.

Neal
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info everyone.

I can post the messages in the item description stating they can only be sold in legal states.

No, I do not know how many rounds the mags hold. I was told by the person I aquired them from they are chinese made AK mags. I aquired them from an out of business gun dealer who was dumping all his gun items.

I'm an old hand at selling on the internet and any of you "Hard Core Gun Buffs" should be able to tell what they are just by looking at them.

I will go ahead and get the pictures done then make up a listing with all the disclaimers you Gun Broker members told me to put in. No I do not want to go to the pokey.

Thanks everyone, I'll put a link to the listing here when I get it done. Then all the buffs can tell me what's what before the "ATF" agents pay me a visit [:0] .
    edited November -1
    I took the pictures. The magazines look like they will carry more than 10 rounds.

I'm getting ready to post the listing but instead of leaving a link here I want to leave the pics so people can look at them.

IMG_4452.JPG
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    You can put pictures in your listing. You also look in completed listings to see what they are selling for.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcs shooters
    You can put pictures in your listing. You also look in completed listings to see what they are selling for.

I have the listing written up. I will post the listing in a little while.

As for Obama being the reason for more gun sales, U.S. citizens are going to do a Libya when he collapses the economy with that health care and borrowing. All the Chinese buying up the U.S. is a big problem also.

Edited for content.