In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

need bullet id 8x57 headstamp pic's added

kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
Hello all i have 2 8x57 cartrides i would like the bullets id'ed if possossible. the 1st seems to have either a nickel coated steel jacket with a steel core,the 2nd seems too have geidling jacket with a steel core has a black tip. both are some type of military ammo.
most of the nickel or silver bullets are in stripper clips, if that helps.[url]002.jpg[/url][/url003.jpg] thanks hope the pic's go thru. seems maybe amor piericeing not sure?
Thanks in advance Kevin
[img][/img]8mm007.jpg8mm001.jpg

Comments

• Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will get more answers with a photo of the HEADSTAMP. The silver looking bullet looks like some of the Turk 8mm I have around here.
  • Options
    buckstarbuckstar Member Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The black tipped one is more likely to be armor piercing.
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The black tip indicates a ww-II tracer.(Nazi) The other is most likely just ball of undetermined mfg.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    You will get more answers with a photo of the HEADSTAMP. The silver looking bullet looks like some of the Turk 8mm I have around here.
    I never saw Turk with an annealed neck. I vote Ecuadorian... again, we need headstamps.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

The bullet on cartridge #1 is a ball round with steel core bullet with cupro-nickel cladding. Cupro-nickel is an alloy of copper and nickel. Put a magnet on the bullet and it will probably attract. This cartridge was manufactured at Povazske Strojarne, Czechoslovakia - Povaske Bystrica Facility in Lot #6 in June 1949. The case is made of brass with 72% copper content and there is a single flash hole. This headstamp was only used between 1949 and 1952. It is a typical Czech military ball round of the period.

The bullet on cartridge #2 was officially called SpitzgeschoB mit Stahlkern und Leuchtspur or a pointed steel core bullet with tracer. These are abbreviated as the S.m.K.L'Spur. The bullet type is identified by the medium (because there are thicker and thinner black bands on other bullet types) wide black band on the bullet tip plus the red primer annulus. This cartridge was manufactured by Finower Industrie G.m.b.H., Finow/Mark, Germany in 1941 and was a part of lot #16. The case for this cartridge is lacquered steel with reinforced case bottom. These tracers came in a variety of colors but the box is needed to know the color. This round is sometimes identified as AP, but it does not have a hardened steel or tungsten core; however, penetration was better than lead or iron core rounds.

I hope this answers your question.

Heavyiron
  • Options
    kms1961kms1961 Member Posts: 391 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks exactly what i was looking for,by the way where did you find this info if i may ask?
    thanks Kevin
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try www.cartridgecollectors.org
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi KMS1961,

Sent a IM.

Best,

Heavyiron