In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

magnum Research graphite barrels

mulestevemulesteve Member Posts: 17 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
Can anyone tell me the pro's and cons of a graphite barrel? (specifically the ones from magnum research) in a 22 magnum.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know anything about graphite barrels. Whats left of MR was bought by Kahr firearms just recently. Kahr is the outfit that makes Tommy guns, 1911 knock-offs, M1 carbines, pocket pistols etc. Best check that Kahr is still going to be making/selling the graphite barrels.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The graphic/carbon fibor adds additional stiffness without the weight of a bull barrel of the same diameter. Also, they cool off faster than a standard heavy barrel.

I am about to put one on my 22LR. Can't wait to see the difference in accuracy, especially during a long shooting session.

Edit 04/30/11 23:42

Just got my barrel and unless carbon fiber is magnetic, I got an all carbon steel barrel.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mulesteve,

Pros:

Lightweight
    Fairly rigid.

Cons:

Expensive.
    Several versions used on barrels without knowing which is used.
    Wrong Adhesives used.
    Cheap manufacturers trying to make more money with cheap knock-offs.

What you need to know is this:

Most, and I do mean most, manufacturers used the cheapest of the carbon fiber products to wrap barrels regardless of the properties of the carbon fiber used. They also use the cheapest adhesives to attach the carbon fiber to the steel barrel liner. This combination DOES NOT yield the heat wicking properties so often touted for these products.

While you may shoot a lot of cartridges and the barrel seemingly remains cool to the touch, you are really noticing that the carbon fiber is acting as an insulator, just the opposite of what is advertised. We tested this by using a remote temperature sensor inserted into the barrel after shooting.

Now this may not be a real problem for the .22LR since the temps are usually not that high from most shooting sessions but to say that ALL of these barrels radiate heat away from the steel liner is false. Only one or two of the manufacturers use the correct components.

I have replaced about a dozen carbon fiber centerfire barrels form various manufacturers because of this misconception. The liner was toast and the outside of the barrel barely got warm. Bad news for $900.00 barrel before installation...

Best.
  • Options
    Lucky007Lucky007 Member Posts: 308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope Magnum Research is one of the manufacturers that use the correct components and manufacturing processes....I have two 22LR Ruger 10-22's with the MR graphite barrels!