In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Firearms Appraisal Reccomendation

mikew1971mikew1971 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
I am updating some insurance stuff and ran into a small problem with one of my carbines. I am looking for recommendations for a good place to get an appraisal. Several places locally i feel low balled me.

I have a Cavalry Arms MKI AR15 with an extremely low serial number.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Post in focus well lit CLOSE UP detailed pictures here . See one of the top STICK post on the top of this forum HOW TO POST PICTURES . a bunch of very knowledgeable people here or do a SMART SEARCH on the words Cavalry Arms
  • Options
    cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    $700 at most

CP
  • Options
    mikew1971mikew1971 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. I will probably run with the $700 for now just to get the paperwork done etc.

I'll get some pics up over the weekend and go from there.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mikew1971
    Thanks for the info. I will probably run with the $700 for now just to get the paperwork done etc.

I'll get some pics up over the weekend and go from there.

Don't expect too much out of that Calvary arms, as it doesn't say Colt on it...low serial number or not. CP is right on the money.

Best
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You need to tell us what your definition of "appraisal" is.

If you walked into your local gun shops & asked, "How much is this gun worth?", you should have expected a "low ball" amount. After all, they would have been expecting a follow up question of, "How much will you give me for it?" If they had said "It's worth $700", & then offered you a realistic $200-250, you would have called them thieves.

OTOH, if you paid them for a written "insurance appraisal", then I would have expected their estimate to be top dollar, as they would want to be able to get some profit margin if yours were stolen & they had to search for a replacement for you.

Actually, if you didn't pay them, you got an "estimate", not an "appraisal". If you want a professional appraisal, there is a link on this site:
    http://www.gun-appraisals.com/

Neal
  • Options
    chumchumchumchum Member Posts: 847 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, So I know this is off subject. However I keep an AR just because the serial number was 223. Not that it was worth more, I just thought it was cool.