In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WWII Memorabilia

jcbrown23602jcbrown23602 Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
Gents,

I was given a few items. Primarily Nazi memorabilia that an acquaintance has acquired over the past. I've ID'd everything except these. I figure they are trench boots but that's about all I can generalize. Are the items he gave me were Nazi items....think these are too? Every trench boot I can find a picture of has laces. I have 0 clue. Stumped. Anyone know? Or where I could be directed? As always thanks guys!

P1010001.jpg
P1010002.jpg
P1010004.jpg
P1010006.jpg

Comments

• 1KYDSTR1KYDSTR Member Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sure look like German issue hobnail boots to me. I've seen innumerable pics of German soldiers humping along-side roads shod in those. Seems like an odd thing to bring back as a souvenire?
  • 45er45er Member Posts: 245 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy jc,

As you've know or have found out, miltitaria can be serious for collectors same as firearms, with endless study to go with.

I do not know answer for your question, yet do know the German Wehrmacht was not the only army to have hobnails, as other countries employed, also.
    Too, I seen some that had zippers, so... ? To futher muddle, the hobs could have been added on after manufacture, as leather workers were used very much during both the world wars near "the lines". Lots of saddle & tack to keep in shape, back them days.

If on gunbroke here you cannot find answer, I'd look to a strickly militaria forum-- there are plenty around the internet.

As last side note in reply for 1kyd-- a "odd souvenir" meaning as a bring war back item? Well, "keepers" are not only daggers and Lugers. Who knows how the boots came to be found here, if meaning the U.S. and the "why" behind it? Could be an immigrants to here, too, belonging to someones grandpappy brought over in a trunk? I've an Italian helmet brought back from a relative, (with true story to go with), though wish could have been a Carcano, ah well.

45er
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Have you looked them over closely for MFG'er markings. The German were BIG on markings. Sure looks like German Hobnail boots to me.