In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Wincheter 94 38-55 1926, Value Help

BeeboBeebo Member Posts: 60 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Ask the Experts
Friends gun he wants to sell, no idea of proper value. serial # 927xxx

Looks pretty decent, he says it has crack in forestock though.

Any help is much appreciated. He was going to sell to me for a few hundred bucks, then I saw the pics and felt he should try to get market value for it. Stupid conscience.

will try to post some pics.
38-55.jpg
win38-55.jpg

winchester94.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It might be the reflection of the sun? But it looks like it might be the victim of a high polish commercial refinish? If it is, it has no collector value and would be just a shooter. If the bore is still descent, probably it would still sell OK on the auction though, at a realistic "shooter" price.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    rufe-snow, I have many more pics, I am no expert but am pretty sure it is original, I believe it is the suns reflection that makes it look polished.

this one may be better example of finish on it
    win94hammer.jpg
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my opinion it appears to be an original (configuration) Model 94 short rifle that was buffed and refinished at some point in time. It also looks like the buttstock is a later replacement. That's a real shame!!!!!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    The combination of direct lighting and a white background makes the photos almost completely useless. The mag tube looks like its too black and there appears to be swirl marks on the end of the barrel but thats about all I see. Indirect light and dont use a white background.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Not my pics, but i see exactly what you mean, and I am starting to think it is probably an older refinish job the more I look.

Can someone give me an idea of values for it as a refinished shooter vs an original?
  • Options
    GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Beebo
    Not my pics, but i see exactly what you mean, and I am starting to think it is probably an older refinish job the more I look.

Can someone give me an idea of values for it as a refinished shooter vs an original?do yourself a favor and search old auctions. Refinished guns have a market, but its a total different market than original. If you really want to get a good education, pay his asking price. That will force you to research the market.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=215032776
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The butt stock is absolutely not original to the rest of the gun. It is a post-war Model 94 Carbine butt stock, and the one picture that shows the upper tang stamp clearly shows how ill-fitting it is.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All great info, thanks very much. Would somebody mind taking a stab at the fair market value for it as it? Mismatched parts and refinishes etc.....

Thanks
  • Options
    oakridgeoakridge Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like a full lenghth forend with the shorter barrel. Could the barrel be cut down?