In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Fobus Holster for a S&W Mod 36-1

ReserveWCSOjrwReserveWCSOjrw Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know if Fobus makes a holster for the S&W Model 36-1 (.38 Special with a 3" heavy barrel). If not what is a good alternative for hip carry?

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fobus definitely has one for a 2" J-frame Smith, but I don't think they have a longer one for a 3".

I don't much care for Fobus anyway. Plastic can be rough on the guns blued finish, and they're not all that comfortable to wear. IMO, they're OK for range use, but I wouldn't carry one "socially".

If you want a production holster for a 3" Smith J frame, Bianchi has one:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bianchi-5bhl-thumbsnap-plain-tan-right-hand-10261.html

There are probably others out there, plus of course any custom holster maker could make you one.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Had a Fobus and didn't keep it long--didn't care for the way it would push the gun out too far and print. Went with an El Paso Saddlery Street Combat for a snubby .38 and never looked back. Great holster and they can make it for just about any barrel length. Not as cheap as a Fobus but 10 times the holster.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I really like Fobus. What I use to carry my duty weapon when I am off duty or in plain clothes. Is there something similar with the paddle style. I'm sure it won't be the same holster, but the paddle is the most important part to me. Fits my fat A%$ a lot better then others I have had.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,647 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your heart is set on Kydex Paddle holsters Fobus doesn't make them for 3" J frames but Blade Tech does http://www.blade-tech.com/Paddle-Holster-pr-876.html
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ReserveWCSOjrw
    I really like Fobus. What I use to carry my duty weapon when I am off duty or in plain clothes. Is there something similar with the paddle style. I'm sure it won't be the same holster, but the paddle is the most important part to me. Fits my fat A%$ a lot better then others I have had.

Just an FYI, if you are not already aware of this. Paddle holster's are ok to wear to the range, or out back to the back 40, but avery susceptible to snatch and grab's. If a thug wants your gun, and comes upon you, un suspecting, all he has to do is grab the holster, and with one sharp jerk, leaves you with the paddle , and he has your gun and holster. Just want to keep you safe. As Beantown suggests, go with the Bianchi, and have it strapped to your belt.

Allesi, who is now out of business used to make some very nice leather, that were almost as fast as a paddle, but were securely attatched to your belt. Now the name is richie Leather. Galco also makes one. I will do a search later to find you a link.

Best

EDIT 1

I did not see they type I was looking for at Galco anymore, however, Richie Leather Co., in Amherst. NY is a direct COPY of the Alessi. Here is a link.

http://www.ritchieholsters.com/catalog/p-100008/close-quarter-quick-release-thumb-break-cq-qrtb

Best
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the help. I wish this was a 2" model as I can find a hell of a lot more holsters for that. I love this gun though. It was willed to me. I just wish I knew when it was made. It is in perfect condition.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ReserveWCSOjrw
    Thanks for the help. I wish this was a 2" model as I can find a hell of a lot more holsters for that. I love this gun though. It was willed to me. I just wish I knew when it was made. It is in perfect condition.

3" guns have two big advantages:

-Full length ejector rod tosses the empties completely clear of the cylinder, not halfway, facilitating fast reloading.

-Surprisingly better ballistics.

One more inch of barrel length can give you another 100-150 fps of muzzle velocity, which is quite a bit more, considering that the 2" guns (actualy 1-7/8") usually yield only about 700-750 fps or so.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/38special.html

The difference is even more pronounced in a .357 magnum gun.

Personally, I wouldn't use a Fobus for any blued gun (period), but if you HAD to do this, I think its model "J357" has an open bottom, so it probably would fit your gun, only with 1" of barrel sticking out the bottom.