In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Question for the Arisaka guys-Addl. info

dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
edited May 2011 in Ask the Experts
Asking for a friend who has what I believe to be a type 38. Did the Japs renumber their rifles like the Germans did, or is this an early gun. Also, is it worth repairing, as the tang is broken, or what would it be worth in as-is condition. It does have some cool markings on it. The reason I guessed type 38 is that it's definitely not 7.7, so I was guessing 6.5. There is no mum, and it appears there never was one. The bore is fairly rough, and I see no evidence of rifling.

IMG_0429.jpg

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0424.jpg

IMG_0425.jpg

IMG_0427.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    Interesting. It certainly LOOKS like a 38, but looks can be deceiving.

Single flash hole on the receiver, the broken tang, lack of a mum, no arsenal marking, strange serial number... adds up to me to be a Japanese training rifle. See: http://oldrifles.com/japanese.htm

Go to near the bottom of the page.

That represents a question. SOME training rifles were made on worn out guns, some from cast iron, which are unsafe to shoot except perhaps blanks. Which is what I think you have.

So no, not worth restoring at all.

I might be wrong, let's see what others say.

Edit to what 11echo said. T-99s had a full length handgaurd. This one does not. It could possibly be a long 99, which is a rather rare gun, but the general lines of it other than the pressure relief hole say "38" to me.

Again, no arsenal mark either.

It's either a training rifle or a defaced 99 Long rifle. I'm leaning towards the former.
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's NOT a type 38, it is a type 99 ...the single vent hole on the receiver ring indicates that. It's hard to see if there is a "Mum" on the receiver, and if it's been de-faced. My "guess" (without any farther info) is it's a trainer and actually if that sling is original it probably would bring more money then the rifle. ...My $0.02
  • Options
    DAMMITDONDAMMITDON Member Posts: 158 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    where can you buy parts for ARISAKA?
  • Options
    11echo11echo Member Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes you can ...limited parts at gun-part-stores, but you find a fair amount of Arisaka parts on eBay.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Believe as above its a trainer...You can find parts here on Gunbroker or Fleabag...IF that sling as stated "original" thats about 125-170. depending on condition//// imo.
  • Options
    JackiePapersJackiePapers Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't recognize the arsenal mark (character after the "116" s/n), so am guessing she's been modified into, or else is a purpose-built trainer. The Banzai folks would have your answer here. I do have 2 Q's, tho ....

1) Is the bore rifled or smooth?
    2) Does the receiver ring appear scrubbed (markings obliterated)?

Other than that, the characters on L&R butt area are typical of "school markings", & same goes for the sling.
    That busted tang is an easy, bolt-on fix. These parts are common as doggstufft on those sites already noted above.
  • Options
    silent-anarchysilent-anarchy Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do not try to shoot it, it is most definatly a trainer. The cartouch on the side of the stock indicates blank firing only. And by looking the side of the reciver its is a trainer not to be confused with the 1945 last ditch naval cast iron recievers. I used to collect arisakas and had about 12 diferent trainers. Its not worth much but the sling is the rarest part. When i sold my trainers, no slings, i got about $60 to $80 each.
  • Options
    uni82uni82 Member Posts: 416 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I agree. No rifling = TRAINER intended for BLANKS ONLY. To a collector it has value. Maybe $100. to $150.