In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

springfield m1a

gunrunner68gunrunner68 Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in Ask the Experts
are these rifles really worth the price? someone mentioned a problem with extracting cases earlier, i have seen this problem on another M1A, but it would easily extract, you just had to do it manually, the rifle was essentially brand new. on anther M1A i saw recently, it looked like the rounds were being fed too "high' they would run into the top of the receiver and hold the bolt open, i think it was factory 175gr or something like that. do these rifles just require alot of fine tuning? or are they very sensitive to ammo? or.....are they just junk?.... i dont think i have any use for a rifle that is that sensitive.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    anyone have any thoughts of the M1A supermatch as a long range precision rifle? what about the caliber? 7.62x51. what about a scope?, should i go with the fixed 10x like the USMC M40A3 uses? or something else?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know of a manufacturer of a reduced pull trigger for the M1A or a gunshop that can do it?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I just tested my new/used Springfield M1A with Redfield scope, and am really dissapointed. The rifle LOOKS beautiful. Like a very professional job in making it.

Even with a fairly wide variety of test loads and even some combined technologies Nosler bullets, the very best group I could get was about 1 1/4 inch at 100 yds.

I have a --norinco--el cheapo M1A with match barrel that performs exactly the same. Is this really the best an M1A will do without going to the supermatch?

My old M1 Garand gets 1" open sights.

My rock river AR 15 gets 1/2". I wish they'd start making
    M1A's.

This Springfield is a letdown. Especially at the price
    I paid. 1200.00

Thinking to sell.
    Eric

thats'me
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, this is Springfields modern version of the Garand right? Why is it chambered in 308 vs 30/06? I really like this/these rifles and was wondering if I were to buy the springfield could it be re chambered to 30/06? I've looked but I don't see the springfield listed or as available in 30/06 anywhere. I WILL own a Garand one day-probably a CMP, but I really want a new, me the first and forever owner-springfield too-I'd just prefer it in 30/06
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is the bore and chamber on a M1A chrome lined? I have checked the Springfield website, and have found no information.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ser number 112***

Numbers on the bolt

SA CA4

Can anybody tell me something about this rifle?

Year made
    usgi bolt or not

Thanks

"I did not get where I am today by worring about what I did last night"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Is there a book or web sit that tell me date of production?
  • Options
    boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
    edited November -1
    go to battlerifles.com and check out their M1A/M14 forum.

GBLogo-170x60.gif

MEMBER SINCE 10/24/1999.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.
  • Options
    pfinpfin Member Posts: 31 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Call Springfield
    1-800-680-6866
    Year is probably 96-98 and the bolt is a Springfield Armory.
    Thay will also tell you the mfg date and should be able to tell you the exact model.