In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

310 Cadet Conversion

I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
edited March 2007 in Ask the Experts
Have any of you experts ever heard or known of a Cadet chambered to a .357 Maximum necked down to .316 and using the original barrel/bore?
I have three, and 2 of them shoot the .32-20 pretty well, but the chambers are a little goofy and I don't want to reload them and over-work the brass taking them back to original size.
I've seen some beautiful conversions in .218 Bee and others, re-barreled and re-stocked and selling for around $1400, and I'd like to do something like this, but I'd like to shoot them now, or soon. This project has a low priority when you put them up against the other ones I've gathered up parts for and are waiting for me to get finished.
I don't have a real problem with reamers and bullets, so that's not a big worry. With the selection of powders available I don't see any problem with working up loads that will beat the heck out of the .32-20.
Mike Wiskey - you're a 310 guy, whadda you think?

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one I had years ago, had a .319 groove diameter. Needless to say it would shoot the 32-20's worth a d*m.

If yours are still in the original Australian military configuration, other then the rechambering? I wouldn't screw with it, as they have become desirable to military rifle collectors.

If you want to use one for a lot hotter load, then the 32-20? Rechamber it for .32 Winchester Special, I guarantee you that it will make your eyes water, and shoulder hurt.
  • joel_blackjoel_black Member Posts: 686 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They used a heel based bullet which are available from Buffalo Arms as are the .310 cadet cases.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you haven't bushed the FP hole and reduced the FP dia by now, you will have to do it with high power loads.
    The 30-30 case dia doesn't leave much wall thickness.
    One I built years ago was Ackley's 219 Zipper Imp, based on the 30-30/32 Spl case and I ringed the chamber with recommended loads.
  • I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    v35:
    That's why I was considering the .357 Max. The wall thickness wouldn't be much thinner and the length just a little longer, and I read that the action had been tested for 62,000 p.s.i..
    Seems like you should be able to get some decent ballistics with this chambering without weakening the action or chamber area very much.

I realize that the 310 is becoming somewhat collectible as original, but when you have a good shooter, they're more desirable to some and probably worth more $$ if you want to consider that.

You would still have a rifle that could be changed to a higher class shooter if you wanted that.
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good idea. You might want more than the .ooo9 chamber taper of the 357 Maximum.
    Snapps Gunshop used to make rimless extractors for these and I've seen MAGNIFICENT conversions to .222 with fancy pistol grip Fajen stocks.
    The NRA gunsmithing book devotes a chapter to converting this rifle.
    The 223 case may be a possibility for this action.
    One of the Whispers are another.
    I've got a couple of these Cadets awaiting conversion for almost 50 years. One shouldn't rush into these projects.
  • blackpowdermaxblackpowdermax Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I. Shute....the conversion you are seeking is actually an existing cartridge (or was a long time ago). It is known as the 32-30 Remington Hepburn and was a nice little target cartridge in the late 1800's. Much better cartridge than the 32-20, but died out because it was too long for the repeating rifles of the time.

I have one in an old Wm. Wurfflein break open single shot from that time period and make my cases from 357 Maximum cases. Just anneal the case mouth area and run through a full length sizing die in 32-30 Remington. It was designed for a 125 grain, .312" diameter lead bullet, but should work fine with something a little larger (or smaller if you use soft lead).

My dies came from RCBS but you can probably get them from CH4D also.

And this one was designed for black powder so you can go that route if you want to get fancy.

If you need some more info, just give a holler. Iconoclast probably knows a bunch about this one too. I too have a 310 Cadet in 32-20 and have been thinking about this conversion.

max
  • RossRoss Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a .357 Mag, but I don't think a Max will turn the corner. It would with a bottle necked case.
    It is a lot cheaper accommodating the brass to the gun, rather converting the gun to fit the brass, and you don't destroy the originality and future value of the antique.
    Cheers from Darkest California,
    Ross
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,971 ******
    edited November -1
    "Mike Wiskey - you're a 310 guy, whadda you think?"... just got back from mexico[:D]. the conversion should work ok but if you want to use the original barrel I'd use the std. .357 mag case, you'll get just as much vel. using cast/swaged bullets (I think the .357 max. case would be 'over bore' with lead bullets). btw the snapp gun shop is still in business and selling martini extractors (989-386-9226)
  • I.ShuteI.Shute Member Posts: 647
    edited November -1
    I sure appreciate the help you guys have given me here.
    I'd like to end up with the 30-30 Remington Hepburn that blackpowdermax suggests but use .316 bullets.

As Ross suggests, it may be too long to 'turn the corner', so would probably have to go with the 357 Magnum instead of the Maximum.
    I'd rather use jacketed bullets than lead, so could use the Max cases to get the extra velocity, but that little puny action just may not handle them.

Mike Wiskey- Stay away from Mexico, you're needed here from time to time.

v35- I'll check my NRA gunsmithing book if and when I find it. It's been on the shelf for 25(?) years and it's the only one I need right now and the only one that's missing.
    edited November -1
    The 30-30 case will turn the corner (at least in the 22/30-30 but barrel wall thickness is too thin. Another thought is rifling pitch is better suited for shorter bullets.
    I wasted a good aftermarket Win 42 410 barrel without thinking about turning the corner.