In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

savage 24v light primer strikes

swampthing36swampthing36 Member Posts: 274 ✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
Even though I got my scope situation figured out, I had two or three duds while shooting today. Had one last week. I am wondering if my 24v has been making light primer strikes. I added a hammer extension to the rifle. I wonder if that could case the problem. Or perhaps because it was so freaking cold outside, any oil in the action started to jell? Please advise.

Comments

• Options
    wagwag Member Posts: 28 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your 24 V has a rebound type hammer. This hammer not only pushes the hammer forward but also pushes it back off the firing pin amd should lock it there with the safety notch of the hammer.Good system whan it works but can be effected by a lot of things like all those you mention and then these; a bent mainspring guide rod from improper disassembly or a weak mainspring or a distorted main spring plunger seat.If you used a Uncle Mikes hammer extension the weight may over power a marginal spring there fore check that the hammer in the neutral position is locked back off the firing pin. My advise seek professional help. WAG
  • Options
    zinkzink Member Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is your barrel selector staying in position when firing?

Lance
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zink

Lance
    will do!
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zink

Lance
    yes