In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Auto clear coat

spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in Ask the Experts
Has anyone used auto clear coat on an laminated stock? I have been thinking of using clear coat to finish a M1 Camo laminated stock that I got from Fulton.

Thanks in advance.
Spec.4

Comments

• longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the wood has any exposed grain the automotive clearcoat will tend to make it look like the grain has swollen open. It really just doesn't fill in to things like that. It will accumulate around the edge of the grain. It does the same thing around geavel chips & cracks in old paint. PPG makes a clear designed for wood & alum. DXR80 is the product, but beware it sprays like water & will run easily.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never tried this.

I suppose it could work, though one of the more traditional oil-type finishes would probably be easier to touch up if it got dinged or scratched.
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Auto clear does a heck of a job on Laminates and it's all I use on them, I spray a lot of coats and wet sand in between each coat until it's filled to where I want it.
    Never a problem in using it, and I have a few with lots of hard use, and they are easy to touch up if it ever needs it. I use NAPA Crossfire mixed 4 to 1....
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here ya go...

DSCF2745.jpg
  • martinicadetmartinicadet Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another alternative is to use spray varathane available at any hardware store. It is made for wood and you don't need spray equipment.
  • shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,811 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mrbruce
    Auto clear does a heck of a job on Laminates and it's all I use on them, I spray a lot of coats and wet sand in between each coat until it's filled to where I want it.
    Never a problem in using it, and I have a few with lots of hard use, and they are easy to touch up if it ever needs it. I use NAPA Crossfire mixed 4 to 1....
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here ya go...

DSCF2745.jpg

I like it! That's a very nice stock
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Seen several electric guitars where they used auto clearcoat, and they are wood.
  • spec.4spec.4 Member Posts: 897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reply. I have this project that I have been putting together.
    First, I got all the parts for the M1 Garand
    Second, I order the barrel action from CMP
    Third, I order the camo laminated stock set from Fulton Amory.
    I am still waiting on CMP for the BR to be sent to me. I have a guy that is going to put everything together in a M1D. I don't have a M84 scope yet so I was thinking of design an mount for the M1D block to be used with a long eye relief scope. Think it would be a one of a kind rifle. As for the sights I was thinking of fiber optic on the front, and a MN rear sight.

Thanks
    Spec.4
  • mango tangomango tango Member Posts: 3,833 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used it many times, just put on 2 or 3 coats, then wet sand, and recoat again, and again, if you want a filled deep looking finish, and you can't beat the durability!
  • wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,201 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a plan...
    Please post some pics after the project is complete!