In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Anyone know anything about this old ammo?

CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in Ask the Experts
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=214323929

I would assume its corrosive, any idea what country manufactured it and if it has any collector value at all? Thanks for any info!

Comments

• Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    OJP is made in Austria. '58 might not be corrosive.
  • Options
    CS8161CS8161 Member Posts: 13,595 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

The ammunition in the photos suspiciously looks to be reloaded based on the 4 dots on the headstamp. I don't know whether it means the case has been reloaded 4 times or just once. It comes from ?sterreichische Jagdpatronenfabrik, Kramsach, Tirol, Austria which was in operation from 1954 to 1962.

S-Patronen means a spitzer type projectile. Can't tell what the projectile weight is from the box photos. Probably Berdan primed.

Best,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    heavyiron:
    I have a bunch of 1958mfg `O`JP loaded rounds laying around somewhere. Damn if I can't find them, but the photo of the brass looks just like mine (no evidence of re-sizing). All my `O`JP brass is a little 'off' in color, exactly as the rounds depicted in the OP's photo. A little blonde colored, vice the gold colored brass normally encountered in ball M2 bang-a-roonies.

My take: although I can't find my rounds (I've had them since the '60's-good stuff for the M1!), and kinda remember that there's dots on my brass also, I'm straying away from the 4X reloaded aspect. The shoulders (as on my brass) have a gentle radius, and that would be gone during re-sizing.

CS8161:
    Save the ammo. Buy an M1. It's good stuff! Best, Joe
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Info on cartridges can be found at "http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/"
    I seem to remember ordering some of this through Montgomery Wards in the 60's. I don't remember the 4 dots, but the case color was normal. I will look for it to check. Meanwhile, the primer sealer & crimp look original.
  • Options
    heavyironheavyiron Member Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

This stuff was made shortly after WWII. The GM 1 on the box indicates it was made for the Gewehr M-1 or Garand Rifle M-1.

Many countries of Western Europe at that time were re-armed with US weapons supplied by the US and ammunition was made within their respective countries. France and Austria both made US ammunition. France made their own .30 caliber, .50 caliber, 30 Carbine, and 45 ACP.

The dots indicate information about the cartridge which may be the production trimester as well, so Givette, you can be correct and the ammuntion may not be reloaded. I have to question how good 53 year old ammunition can be especially when nobody knows how it was stored over so many years.

Best,

Heavyiron
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a batch of OJP61 about 20 years ago. The stuff I have does not have punch marks but does have the Roman numeral "IV" on the case head. In checking my records, I was surprised to find how much of it I had! My records show I fired 46 five-shot groups from 16 different rifles including 4 Garands starting in 1991 and, most recently, July of last year. I always treated it as corrosive (cleaned immediately) but never saw any signs that it was. No corrosion on fired cases over time. The bullet weight is 151 gr.+/- and the average velocity was 2731 fps. The only trouble was failure to eject from a CMP $1,000 grade re-barreled Garand. (The bolt would move back part way and them close again on the empty case.) I suspect the brass is on the soft side. I have some Berdan primers and reloaded some of the cases a couple of times. Firing them resulted in no surprises, ie, normal velocity and extreme spread compared to the same loads with other cases and primers.

Sorry; probably more info than anybody wanted!