In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester Model 72 pics added 5-11-11

marcus396marcus396 Member Posts: 170 ✭✭✭
edited May 2011 in Ask the Experts
sorry this is all the pics i have for now, hope to have more when I get it next week. The stock looks a little dull to me, but does it appear to be a correct target and what would be the mfg of the rear site? IS there any records of how many left the Winchester factory with different options? Just wondering how many model 72 were made plain jane and how many left with different sites, scopes etc. What would estimate be on value? like i said , I appologize for pics, I will put more up next week once its in my possession.
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr19/marcus396/406_2.jpg
http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr19/marcus396/406_1.jpg

edit:: GB auction side one listed as original http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=227228451
series 97 hooded ramp 80A receiver mounted peep sound right? noticed no swivel studs
EDIT WED 5-11-11 [:)]
got my rifle in tues 5-10-11 at my ffl, once out of box jaws dropped how new this rifle looked, not refinished legit as advertised 99% chrome curved bolt, grooved lifter or carrier, rollmark, Winchester name sets between US of America and Model 72- non grooved trigger, blue trigger guard, non grooved receiver, ramped hood front site, rear peep with lat and long adjustments, win butt plate, just very faint muzzle wear, new pics on way the other 72 is my shooter, the stock is different around forearm end, same carrier, straight bolt, different rollmark, standard open sights, figured my shooter is pre war,
001-1.jpg002-3.jpg forearm diff
005-2.jpg peep
006-2.jpg roll mark
003-2.jpg bolt handle and top peep
008-2.jpg wood 009.jpg
007-1.jpg stock

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    marcus, The model 72 Winchester is pictured in the 1956 Gun Digest at a price of $30.90 with an optional peep sight and bead front on hooded ramp at a price of $33.10. It is not a true target rifle as it lacks the heavier stock and sling swivels that were characteristics of Winchester's target .22 rifles, The Model 52C and Model 75. Both were available in a "sporter" version with stock style similar to what is pictured on the model 72. The Model 75 Sporting mentions the Lyman 57E aperture sight being available for it. Lyman's catalog shows the 57E fitting the model 72 also. The best I can tell from your photos, the rear sight is a more basic receiver sight than the model 57E. Without good photos it would be hard to make a reasonable estimate of value.

Added: The sight on the gunbroker rifle looks like what is pictured in the 1956 Gun Digest.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    New pics added for my win 72 in first post above,
    I received rifle 5-11-11. Madis book didnt help, but found a forum comparing the 72 and 72A, still left alot of cunfusion after 10 pages, feel free to add comments or pics of your model 72's

edit, from various pictures of other model 72, seems to be a variance on rollmarks seems I know at least three different styles, types of rollmarks, maybe a fourth one, my guess rollmarks changed about the same time the model 69 may have changed, very similar rollmarks,

on top of target receiver, is fc and other side a star, my shooter does not have that on same area,

[:)][:)]
    from previous post 2007 with valuable help from Bert H.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=227760
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Marcus,

I tried to reply to the email message that you sent to me via Gunbroker, but it was returned as "Undeliverable"

Based on what I can see in the picture links you posted, you have a standard Model 72 with the upgraded sights. It is neither a "Target" or a "Gallery" model.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marc,

I tried replying to the message you sent today... still no joy. I get the following message;

"Delivery to the following recipients failed."

The email message you sent came from your @zoominternet.net address.

This is what I tried to send in my reply;

The Model 72 was manufactured with standard barrel mounted open sights, and it was offered with the receiver mounted peep sight as an added cost option. It is not common to find them with the peep sight. Most people who wanted a true "target" .22 caliber rifle purchased a Model 75 Target or Model 52 vice paying extra money for the peep sight on the Model 72.

Concerning your 1963 vintage Browning A5, if it does not have a round knob pistol grip stock, somebody replaced it after the fact. The squared pistol grip butt stocks did not make their appearance until 1968.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    after looking at my fathers model 72 , his is older style stock, patent pending scroll mark, open sites. scope is weaver 330 M8 side mount with T1 side mount. scope has tapered recticle, and says weaver 330 scope M8 patent pending WR Weaver co El Paso Texas, does not give power , click adjustments, just curious what about this scope, age etc, i presume pre war, and rifle may be pre war, thanks marc

EDIT: after looking at 1954 advertisement for winchester, seems like this is the vintage of this rifle, swept back bolt etc 49 catalog had straight bolt,