In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How do you clean the Winchester Model 94 action?

HooperHooper Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited March 2003 in Ask the Experts
I've just purchased a new Winchester 94 Legacy, 30-30. It's my first lever gun and I'm wondering what the best way is to clean the action. Looks like it doesn't come apart easily and I wouldn't want to do that.

I just spray cleaner in my shotgun action, turn it right side up and let it drain out with the dirt, but the owners manual for the 94 says not to do this because of possible stock softening. This makes me wonder if removing the butt stock is the answer. Looks like there is just one screw.

What do you folks out there with Winchester lever guns do to clean the action? I'd really appreciate any tips. Thanks.

Edited by - Hooper on 10/28/2002 15:47:59

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    FOR A NEW RIFLE JUST TAKE THE BUTT STOCK OFF AND FLUSH THE ACTION WITH GUN SCRUBER AND THE LUBRICATE WITH REM OIL OR G96 (OR SOMETHING SIMILAR). TO PROPERLY CLEAN AN OLDER OR REALY DIRTY ONE YOU HAVE TO COMPLETELY DISASSEMBEL IT.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    gunbooks@vermontel.net or www.vermontel.net/~gunbooks

item # 5058 $5.00 winchester 94 lever action assembly/dissembly/lubrication/ammunition/maintenance/storage manual. step by step instuctions with illistrations. i own 7 of these handy little books for different guns. the `94 manual is 74 pages long. i have purchased them at gun shows, online, and through the mail. they have 60 plus gun manuals. they are accuratte and helpful. i would not take apart my `94 without it.

What other dungeon is so dark as ones own heart, what jailer so inexorable as ones own mind.
  • Options
    j2k22j2k22 Member Posts: 329 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks mrmike for the link; just ordered me a manual. Took all of about 45 seconds, via PayPal.
  • Options
    HooperHooper Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just ordered that booklet, too.

Thanks everyone for the tips and the heads up about the book.
  • Options
    PelicanPelican Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    OK, first you gotta get it apart. Carefully remove the butt stock and wrap in an old towel to prevent scarring. Pad a vise and clamp the barrel just in front of the receiver. Then, with a hacksaw that has a fresh blade........................

The Almighty Himself Entrusted the Future of All Living Creatures to a Wooden Boat.- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -"Audemus jura nostra defendere"
  • Options
    redbikerredbiker Member Posts: 117 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just ordered one of these books for the Model 94 I bought yesterday. Thanks guys!!!

Myles
    Gunnison, CO
    "panic, chaos and mayhem, my work here is done"
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Or you can download the owners manual directly from Winchester's site: http://www.winchester-*/manuals/model94_manual.pdf
    (you must have Adobe Acrobat Reader)
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Thank you, Bambihunter![:D]

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that just ain't so!
    Resident Pyrrhonist
  • Options
    Iroquois ScoutIroquois Scout Member Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You either clean the barrel from the muzzle or you tear the whole thing apart to clean it from the breach. This is another reason that I prefer the Marlin. Remove one screw, pull out the lever, bolt and ejector and go to it.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you still need a Bore Snake or an Otis cleaning kit.[:D]