In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1903 Springfield w Warner & Swazey Site

Country GunsCountry Guns Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
I have in my hands a rifle marked, US Rock Island Arsenal Model 1903, Serial Number 215XX with the barrel marked RIA, Flaming Bomb, L-06 and 18 (18 is Underlined). It has the mount for the Warner & Swazey Optical Musket Site and I also have the site in good condition. The stock has the boxed FJA and crossed canons on the left wrist, circled-P aft of the trigger guard, an M between the circled-P and the trigger guard, and before the trigger guard a circled 8, boxed 7, diamond 7, and triangle E. The rifle bore looks very good and there is some rust/corrosion on the rear sights and front sight, and sling swivel. The rifle is complete and looks very good.

I intend on posting this rifle and site on GB, but would like your advice as to the minimum acceptable bid and what they might bring.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello This "COULD" be a very collectable gun and you will need many detailed pictures to get the "FAIR" market price. I would suggest that you do not attempt to clean or DOLL UP this Item and I and many others woul like to see you put on a unreserver auction. BELIEVE me if you list with correct description and "GOOD DETAILED" pictures on this site it will sell for a price you can be happy with.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The combo is undoubtedly a post-WWII garage project.

WWI sniper rifles were assembled by Springfield Armory, & they used Springfield Armory rifles. The serial # should be stamped in the side mounting recess of the scope. In any case, Col Frank J. Atwood was an inspector 1942-1946, so the stock came from a WWII rifle. With holes drilled in the receiver, value of the rifle is now < $100, although, if the stock is unmutilated, it may be worth more.

You may want to sell the scope & base separately. There were 2 models of W&S scopes - Model 1908 & Model 1913, plus variations of each. There were also several mount variations; you may not even have a USGI mount. You may want to invest in a book. Or, once you have photos, ask the guys on the 1903 forum at www.jouster.com for help identifying the scope & mount; besides, these are the guys who you want to have bidding on it.

Value depends upon the exact model, condition, & the quality of your photographs. I agree with Perry Shooter; don't play games with your listing, & you will get a fair price.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of my references notes that their were 5,000, 03 Springfields fitted with Model 1913 Warner-Swasey telescopic sights during and after the First World War.

It values them from $1700 to $6750 depending on overall condition. Also noting that the scopes were originally numbered to specific rifles, but the scopes were also sold separately as surplus, after the war.

I most definitely would not sell this extremely rare US sniper rifle, in a unreserved auction unless my starting bid price reflected the above values.

luger_4.jpg
  • Options
    Country GunsCountry Guns Member Posts: 88 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey!!! Thank you all very much for your help. I am always amazed at the kind and caring responses shown here.

The Warner & Swazey Telescopic Sight is a Model of 1913 and is a real work of art. If you have never held one in your hands, you are certainly missing a little something. I would love to shoot this combination, but hesitate to do so.

Many Thanks,
    Dave