In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

us 1922 m3

tatercatstatercats Member Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 2005 in Ask the Experts
what is a rough estimate of a 1922 M3 in 99%+ condition?
it has a lyman peep sight on the reciever and a cover on the front sight.

Comments

• Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I collect the 1922 Series Springfield Gallery Practice Rifles. The third variation was the M2. I never heard of an M3 and suspect a typo or you misread the receiver marking. There were 20,000 or so M2's made. Collector references indicate only about 80 were sold in the NRA Sales variation through the DCM. The rest were referred to as the "issue" variation and remained in govt possession until most were sold as surplus in the 1950's. From personal observation I would estimate that 95%+ of the "issue" M2's went through refinishing. Nearly all that are described as 98%, near mint, etc. are talking about a reparked rifle, not one with the original finish put on the rifle when it was made by Springfield Armory. Factors that influence value are: Original finish, matching parts, exact variation, and amount of finish remaining. I would say a 99% original finish rifle with matching number parts on the rear sight and bolt numbered to the rifle and with correct stock could bring upwards of $1,500 to a collector who really wanted a nice one. A similarly described gun that had been reparkerized would be in the $1,000 to $1,200 range. These prices are based on my experience of buying and selling several each year. Pie in the sky asking prices and minimum bids on the misdescribed ones on the internet auctions are meaningless in establishing value. If you will email me with the serial number, color of parkerizing, whether the sn is etched on the bottom of the bolt and barrel date I will try to help you establish a true value.