In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

H&R Sportsman .22 cal

MrMwMrMw Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
edited February 29 in Ask the Experts
I have a nickel plated H&R Sportsman top break nine shot .22 caliber revolver. The serial number is 35474 and it is truely the nicest, smoothest action .22 I have come across. My question to you experts out there is... Does anyone know what year the gun was made? Thanks for your help, Dave

Comments

• Options
    rhmc24rhmc24 Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mr bgoforth will probably reply with the answer. I'm replying to keep your posting from going off the page.
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    mrmw,
    your sportsman double action is one of the early pre-wwII model. the model 999 double action sportsman was introduced in october 1932 while H&R was trying to established themselves as a true target revolver manufactuurer. serial number 35474 was manufactured about 1935. it would help my research if i knew if the firing pin was mounted on the hammer or in the frame and if there were any patent dates marked on the cylinder. the model 999 souble action sportsman has a compaion model called the model 199 single action (they were both introduced at the same time). and in the 1938 to 1940 era there were two more single action target revolver manufactured by H&R, the model 196 eureaka and the model 777 ultra sportsman. these revolvers along with the single shot model 195 U.S.R.A. pistol are true top break target pistols capable of winning matches, which many of them did.

the model 999 double action proved to be a very popular revolver with every one and while it remained the top of the line it turned from a true target revolver to a best selling general purpose 22 revolver and remained in production until 1986. it was in continous production for over 50 years (even during the war). it was even given new life for a few years when NEF/H&R1871 reintroduced it about 1990.
    bill
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    Just curious. How common are nickel plated 999's. I don't think I've ever seen one.
  • Options
    b.goforthb.goforth Member Posts: 982
    edited November -1
    there were some nickel model 999 manufactured in the early 1960s as the model 999 custom deluxe model. they are listed in the catalogs of the era but i have not seen one. i believe some of the later NEF/H&R1871 were nickel and may be even stainlless. now that the subjest has been brought up maybe a bunch will show up and i can add to my research data.
    bill
  • Options
    MrMwMrMw Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys for the discussion and information. The firing pin is the hammer itself. There are two patent numbers on the cylinder, one is 190473 and the other is 203463. The other parts including the cylinder on the the gun are stamped 474. There is no prefix that I can see on any of the serial numbers. The gun was in the collection of a guy at work who had to liquidate it and when purchased, it had years of grease/oil laquer on the internals. The nickle was also very cloudy and for a while, every thing I tried to polish it with within reason didn't work. I finally completely dissasbled it and did a thorough cleaning. Finally I found that Flitz worked great at polishing the nickel. It appears to be an original nickle finish but since it was not in my family to start, I cannot be sure. The nickle finish if done by someone other than the factory is a solid job. I tried to copy some pictures over but have given up. Thanks once again for your knowledge guys. This is truely a great forum.
  • Options
    grege818grege818 Member Posts: 5

Hey Yalll , I'm trying to find out what this old family heirloom is . My Uncles , he worked for NBC Radio in the 40's and NBC TV starting in the mid 50's. He was the head of the sound effects Dept. Before he passed he gave me this H&R .22 . Not really sure what it really is !! Was also looking for member (b.goforth) since I hear he is kinda a Guru with H&R's. The Barrel was cut off at NBC to make it louder said Uncle !! Looking for another but have never seen one with a side lever to release cylinder. Any Ideas folks ?? Have 6 H&R's for fun , all really old ones but really want to get a barrel for this ole girl... P.S. See engraving. T

ks Greg

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin

b.goforth is no longer a member of this forum.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******

he 'past away' several years ago 😔

• Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin

I thought that was the case, but my recollection is not on the mark any more, so I did not want to mention that.

• Options
    grege818grege818 Member Posts: 5

O geez , I'm sooo sorry to hear that !! Well i'll figure this out some how !! I hear he was quite the brain on H&R stuff , for the longest times it was WW2 guys , now it's Viet Nam guys. God Rest his soul...

This discussion has been closed.