In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Information needed on WWII Holster

Jeepgod2002Jeepgod2002 Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2006 in Ask the Experts
Hello guys. I inherited this holster from my great uncle, a WWII vet who brought this back as a trophy. He told me this came off a German, although the gun inside it was British. Any help on the markings, value, etc. is appreciated. I can make out 1938 obviously, but cannot make out the marking below the year. also, above the year is the number 6 (or 9)?
holster1.jpg
holster2.jpg
holster3.jpg
holster4.jpg

Comments

• Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    My first guess would be P38 Walther.
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Or Walther PPK...
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The construction of the holster resembles Czech holsters that I've seen in the past. They had a large .380 Cal. pistol ( CZ 1938 ) that the Czech Army was being issued, when the Germans took over control in the late 30's.

The holsters I had seen in the past with similar construction were for the smaller CZ 24 Model Pistols. It hard to ascertain the size of the holster in your photos but the CZ 1938 was quite a large pistol. No way would it fit in the holster for the CZ 24.
  • Options
    Jeepgod2002Jeepgod2002 Member Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    rufe-snow...this holster is rather small, a Webley 1906 is actually the gun that was inside it when captured. I did a search on the czech guns you mentioned, and it appears to me that the CZ 22 or CZ 24 is right on....i found one for sale but it has the "nazi eagle" and czech "rampant lion" stamped...., based on the photos in the link below, can anyone help with the markings?

http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/Holsters.html
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jeepgod2002
    rufe-snow...this holster is rather small, a Webley 1906 is actually the gun that was inside it when captured. I did a search on the czech guns you mentioned, and it appears to me that the CZ 22 or CZ 24 is right on....i found one for sale but it has the "nazi eagle" and czech "rampant lion" stamped...., based on the photos in the link below, can anyone help with the markings?

http://www.collectiblefirearms.com/Holsters.html

As 1938 was the year the Germans took over Czechoslovakia, it's unlikely the markings are German. There have been problems over the years, with folks enhancing the values of various type of holsters, by adding spurious German markings. Due to this, great caution has to be exercised when these questionably marked holsters, are offered for sale at elevated prices.