In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

question about reboring

crpcrp Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
i have a .243 barrel. is it possible to have it re bored to 6.5/284?

Comments

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    crp,

Welcome to the Gunbroker Forums!

You can have the barrel rebored to .256" which is the land diameter of the barrel and then have the rifling cut to .264" which is the groove diameter. This is predicated on the fact that the muzzle diameter is large enough which most are.

After reboring and rifling, you can have a 6.5x284 CHAMBER cut in the barrel using a chamber reamer.

Best.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cost will be less than a new barrel but not a whole lot less.

If for a target rifle, I'd splurge on a new one.

If for a hunting rifle, I would wonder what magazine changes you would have to have made.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    crp,

The conversion is possible and is usually more cost effective than buying a new barrel. The question to me here is do you have enough barrel to handle a 6.5-.284? Meaning a light barrel may be contoured so that the shoulder of the new case is too close to the OD of the barrel in that point and not be stiff enough to hold down vibration. If your .243 barrel has enough meat on it then it's a good deal. That would mean it needs to be a heavy sporter or varmint at least. The person/company you plan to have do the barrel will know if it's a good option to go to that caliber. Another choice would be to re-chamber in .260 or .260AI.

For the 6.5-.284 case your going to need at least 24" of barrel or more to help get all that velocity in that cartridge out of it. Converting a short barrel to a (whatever)-.284 case is going to disappoint you. I will say if your barrel has enough meat on it, and length, then go for it. I have a 30-06 barrel and a 6mm-.284 barrel that are both going to get re-bored when I wear them out.

EDIT:

FWIW, I wasn't convinced either that re-boring would be the way to go. After reading and discussing this in a couple posts, along with nononsense sending me the links, I am convinced that some of my better shooting barrels can have a good second life.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    crp,

These are a couple of threads from previous questions about reboring:

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=364260&SearchTerms=reboring

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=319521&SearchTerms=reboring

The folks that actually do reboring are exceptionally willing to explain any of the process that is unclear or help you decide if your original barrel is suitable.

Best.