In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Velocity question on 45 ACP.

nick357nick357 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
Hi I load my own Ammo using the following.
Magtech no 2 1/2 large pistol Primers
Bullseye 5.7 GN
230 GN fmj Round head
This in the Book gives it 859 FPS, but this is from a s&w 1955 with a 6-1/2 inch Barrel at 1 in 15 twist. Question is how much does the Velocity increase per inch of Barrel over the 6-1/2?.
Thanks.
Nick.
Sorry posted in wrong Forum [:I].

Hi all thanks for the info, once again I miss wrote what I was trying to say, the Gun I use it in is an Enfield with a 12 inch Thompson SMG Barrel, the Load is what I use from the Speer Reloading Manual number 11, I know it is a bit old [:)].
Thanks again.
Nick.

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The only way to be sure is to test on a Chronograph most published velocities are for pistols in pistol cartridges. and longer barrels in rifle cartridges.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will find in a revolver it will lose 25-50 FPS because of the cylinder gap. That is a rather hot load for a pistol intended for target shooting in my way of thinking. My favorite plinking load for the 45 was 6.0 grains of Unique. When mixed with ball ammo there was no difference in felt recoil or sound. Even the smoke was similar.

The only real way to determine MV is too shoot in over a chronograph.

Take good care of that 25-2, they are great guns.
  • Options
    givettegivette Member Posts: 10,886
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nick357
    Hi I load my own Ammo using the following.
    Magtech no 2 1/2 large pistol Primers
    Bullseye 5.7 GN
    230 GN fmj Round head
    This in the Book gives it 859 FPS, but this is from a s&w 1955 with a 6-1/2 inch Barrel at 1 in 15 twist. Question is how much does the Velocity increase per inch of Barrel over the 6-1/2?.
    Thanks.
    Nick.
    Sorry posted in wrong Forum [:I].

Hi, Nick! Got a chronograph? No? Well let's look at this using bass-ackwards science. The cylinder gap will lose 'about' as much velocity as the 1.5in barrel will gain (over the 5in M1911 used to work up the loads in the reloading manuals)...so you are good to go with published data. Wow! I've impressed myself again[:D]

Best, Joe
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I too think that load is a little warm, the standard load is 5grs of Bullseye.
    W.D
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd say you could use Thompson Center loads in that Enfield/Thompson AOW and expect over 1000fps.
    Get a chronograph.
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well Captnmidnight I am happy someone else likes bullseye as well. I us 4.5 to 5 grains in my loads. Never ever any load over 1000fps. In my opinion this calibur is meant to be slow and flesh tearing. If you shoot this calibur and compare it to like a .44 or .357. The .45 will tear its way thru not just cut a pretty little hole. A .45 will create serious damage if loaded like this.