In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

223 load data

giltersleevegiltersleeve Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
Help! Cant find a good load recipe for ruger mini 14.
can you help using these componants-
223/5.56
rem. case
80 grain hornady A max
IMR 4198
need a coal also.
Thanks for your help
Tom

Comments

• Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    giltersleeve,

My first question is do you have a tight enough twist to warrant shooting an 80 gr. bullet? You need a 1-8" at least if not a 1-7" twist. A 1-9" won't stabilize that bullet in all probability. Any twist slower than that and you should stick with 55-62 gr. bullets.

My load for semi-autos is 23.8 gr. of AA2015 behind a 60 gr. bullet. Bump that to 24 for a 55 and drop that to 23 for a 68/69 gr. bullet.

Edit:

giltersleeve,

Sorry about that, I missed the 4198 part. As mentioned in one of the following posts 20 gr. is a start load and 23 gr. is max.

However, I don't remember Ruger mini-14's being a 1-7" twist. That's a thing of more recent production not old production. I remember them being 1-12" twists. But, I've been wrong before and you may have one.

So, to find out the exact twist you have, take a cleaning rod that spins pretty freely (stem to handle). Put a patch on a jag and fit it tightly into the bore. On this rifle you will need to go in from the muzzle so be very careful with the crown (muzzle area around the bore). Measure from the barrel to the handle. Also mark top center of the rod. Push the rod gently through the barrel and note that the cleaning rod is rotating. When it has rotated around so the top center mark is again top center measure to your handle (or other reference point). That will show you the number of inches the patched jag traveled while making one turn.

If you can shoot the 80's you may just have to stuff them a little deeper into the case. But understand you probably won't get to the published max before you start to see pressure signs.

-good luck
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Yes I do. It is an older mini with a 1 in 7 twist. Thats why I went to the heavier bullet. I was looking for a 70 or 73 grain but all they had in stock was the 80gr, so I thought what the hay, I'll try em.The problem is, I cant find data for it espesialy for the 4198 IMR powder witch is all I have right now.I thought somone might have a load manule with that recipe since mine dose not.Thanks!
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will the 80 grain bullets load in the magazine of mini's? They won't in ARs, thats why I ask the question.

Hodgon is listing 20 to 23 grains for a sierra match king 80 grain bullet. Your best bet would be to get a hold of a Hornady book.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steve has a bunch of loads on his site for 80 grain bullets.

http://stevespages.com/224_8_80.html

Don't seem there is anything for 4198 though? Might check for the 75 and 77 grain bullet weights might be a load that you could use with a reduced powder charge.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I dont know if they will fit either. I went to the gun shop today and have been FORCABLY talked out of using them. lol.I'm told no more than 63grain is acceptable.LOL. So I bought some varget and I'll have to find some bullets, and try that. Thanks for all the help. You just have to overlook us rookies, but we have to learn somehow.
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by giltersleeve
    I dont know if they will fit either. I went to the gun shop today and have been FORCABLY talked out of using them. lol.I'm told no more than 63grain is acceptable.LOL. So I bought some varget and I'll have to find some bullets, and try that. Thanks for all the help. You just have to overlook us rookies, but we have to learn somehow.

Well, I think your gun shop is FORCIBLY WRONG. There is nothing wrong with use 80 grain or even 90 grain bullets in a .223. Hell, I would try 80 grain in an AR no questions asked. I just don't want to hand feed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well the reason they said to use 62 or 63 grainers over the 80 gr. was because of the loss of velocity. The 80 grain load would be verry comparable to say the 6mm. In other words why would you want to shot a 223 so slow?I only bought a 100 so I'm not out much money.I just wish I had a good bolt gun to run em through. But your right, I could still shoot em I guess, But we are talking an older mini 14, probebly not the most accurate rifel to start with, I just want it to shoot to it's full potintial.
    Thanks,Tom
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't quite get why they said that. The military is shooting 77 and 80 gr's out of a magazine. So there is no valid argument why you can't do it. Tell them you want to buy them just to buy them. It's your money and you can spend it anyway you like.

I will reiterate though if you read the edit to my original post that you should, for yourself, know what twist you have in that rifle. 1-7" just doesn't sound right at all for a Ruger Mini-14.
  • Options
    5mmgunguy5mmgunguy Member Posts: 3,853
    edited November -1
    giltersleeve,

Have you talked to Ruger, they say they have never made the Mini-14 with a 1-7 twist. Have you measured it? Has the barrel been replaced?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I will check the twist tomorrow. I bought the bullets-80 gr, Amax.My worry is stuffing that much bullet that far in the case, wont that increas preasure?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    No I have not spoke to ruger. I based my assumption on a artical I read somwhere about the serial numbers. I could be very wrong,the best I remember it said my # was a 1 in 7 witch agreed with my accuracy problem.At 100 yds. somewhere around 5". 55 gr.vmax with 20.5 grains of 4198. the best group at 100 yds. is about 3.5" with 55 gr
    . loaded @ 18.0 gr. of 4198.I've not tried any oyher powder, though I bought a lb. of varget today.