In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

40 cal. Browning Highpower recoil spring

Gene PoolGene Pool Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
I have a 40 caliber Browning Highpower. It's a great gun, however when reassembling it the recoil spring is very difficult to put back in...I mean veeeerrrrry difficult. It must be at least 20 pounds. Does anyone make an encapsulated spring for the 40 Highpower? Or is there a technique to putting the factory one back in without pulling a double-hernia doing so?

Thank you,
Gene Pool

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Because of the fact that the Browning Hi Power was designed for the 9MM when going to a higher energy round like the 40 you either have to make the slide heavier or the recoil spring stronger. However I don't have one of these pistols in 40 but the 9mm spring is a snap to install .
  • Options
    PearywPearyw Member Posts: 3,699
    edited November -1
    I also have a 40 S&W Browning Hi-Power and the spring is strong. I have not found an easy way to remove and install it except to muscle it.
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best way i can tell ya is take the take down lever and slip it back into the hole where the guide rod meets the barrel, with 2 fingers draw back on that while keeping a hand ove the spring, once it clears the detent slightly pull upwards and do the reverse to install
  • Options
    Gene PoolGene Pool Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all.

k.stanonik's suggestion triggered an idea that seems to work best for me. I took the recoil spring guide, put the spring on it then slipped the spring in the slide and placed the guide in the slot in the barrel. Then fed the BARREL AND SPRING into the slide together. The barrel gives more to hold to and allows the other hand to keep the spring from kinking. Tried it a couple of times and it worked best.

Thanks again,
    Gene Pool