In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rifle: .38 out of .357

Fade2GrayFade2Gray Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
I know that you can shoot .38 caliber rounds out of a revolver that is .357mag, but is that the same for rifles as well? Specifically, a lever gun chambered in .357mag. Will it feed, chamber, fire, eject, etc correctly?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can shoot 38 special in a rifle chanbered for 357 mag. Some rifles don't feed the shorter rounds as well as others, some CAS shooters simply load light loads in 357 cases for better feeding. I recomend IMR TrailBoss for this.
    For what it's worth.
    W.D.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes, you can safely fire .38s from a .357 lever gun.

As to whether or not you'll get reliable function with .38 specials, as already mentioned that's variable.

The lever action rifles in particular tend to be highly sensitive to overall cartridge length. If the rounds aren't sized exactly right (too short or too long), they won't load correctly.

So reliability will depend a bit on your exact gun, and also the length of the rounds you're loading.

Of course, there is really only one way to know if a particular type of round will cycle reliably through your particular gun, and that's to actually try it!

If you are reloading, you've got two options.

Of course, as mentioned you can use lighter loads in .357 cases. The IMR "Trail Boss" powder was specifically designed for exactly this purpose, namely to take up extra volume in cases for reproducible and safe low-power loads.

Alternatively, you can just find a load that works in your gun, measure its overall length (should be around 1.59"), then try to exactly replicate that length in your .38 special reloads. You may have to try different bullets to find one that will work in this application.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Shoot 38's out of my Marlin all the time. Had to do a little fiddling with OAL to feed good. Just take the bolt out once in a while and clean chamber.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had no feeding issues using .38 special round nose in both my Henry and Marlin. I did have a couple of cartridges hang up in one of them (don't remember which) when using .38 special jacketed soft points.

Never had any problems feeding 357 Magnums of any type.

Best 100 yard performance with Hornady LeveRevolution.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    44shotdoctor44shotdoctor Member Posts: 178 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well I don't own one in .357 but I do in .44. If you look at rifle reload data for the calibur it will show using only max loads in a rifle and very hot powders. So if you load .38 in a rifle meant for .357 max loads than are you not under loading this gun and creating something dangerous?
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    So if you load .38 in a rifle meant for .357 max loads than are you not under loading this gun and creating something dangerous?

Once again but this time in English please.

There is no way shooting a lower pressure cartridge will create a dangerous situation. If there is I want proof.

Next issue is that really weak powder charges can cause "squibs" where the bullet lodges in the barrel. Not so bad until you fire the NEXT round into the lodged barrel. Then not so good!

Good point Beantown, I totally forgot about the squib factor,a very possible problem with jacketed bullets and low pressures.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by countryfarmer
    So if you load .38 in a rifle meant for .357 max loads than are you not under loading this gun and creating something dangerous?

Once again but this time in English please.

There is no way shooting a lower pressure cartridge will create a dangerous situation. If there is I want proof.

Well, if you drastically under-load a cartridge, there will be a lot of extra unfilled space in the cartridge.

That extra space can allow the powder to spread itself somewhat randomly within the cartridge depending on how the gun is oriented or shaken right before ignition.

That usually just means inconsistent firing pressures and bad accuracy. This by itself is a good reason not to do this.

Next issue is that really weak powder charges can cause "squibs" where the bullet lodges in the barrel. Not so bad until you fire the NEXT round into the lodged barrel. Then not so good!

Lastly, supposedly really low powder charges (particularly using fast burning "ball" type rifle powders) can detonate instead of burn, leading to dangerous pressures.

I've never seen this happen myself, but I've heard anecdotal reports of guns being damaged this way.

Even if the effect is really caused by an accidental double-charge rather than a true light single-charge, having really low volumes of powder in a case really does increase the likelihood of putting in an accidental double (or triple!) charge of powder.

So why take the chance?

If you want to use really light loads, you can either use a filler, or just use the Trail boss powder.
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has this thread been hijacked? The question was about shooting .38 Special cartridges in a rifle chambered for the .357 Cartridge. Of course there is no danger. Now, severly underloading .38l Specials OR .357 Mag. Cal. cases might cause the problem well described by beantownshootah but that is not what this thread is about.
  • Options
    Fade2GrayFade2Gray Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awesome input! Thanks for all the info and definitely the personal experience. It's always nice to know someone else has tried it first.