In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WHAT AMMO DO I USE?

redgatorredgator Member Posts: 16 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
I JUST BOUGHT A TAURUS 45 REVOLVER TITANIUM AND WAS TOLD THAT I CAN'T USE 45 AMMO OR THE AMMO GET CHRIMPED WHAT SHOULD I USE? THANKS FOR ANY HELP

Comments

• Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A comment and two questions.

First, there are two common types of .45 caliber pistol ammo, and persons new to shooting sometimes get them confused.

The first type is called ".45 Colt" (or sometimes ".45 long Colt", "45 LC"). This is a rimmed cartridge used primarily in revolvers, particularly old single-action cowboy style revolvers.

The second type is called ".45 ACP" (or ".45 Auto", or ".45 Automatic Colt Pistol"), and this is a short fat RIMLESS stubby cartridge used mainly in semi-automatic pistols, including the famous American military 1911 Colt automatic pistol.

*SOME* revolvers can use this round, but usually those require the use of "moon clips" to load and eject them into a revolver.

One of the types of revolvers that can use this round is the Total Titanium Taurus Tracker in .45 ACP. (Try to say that five times fast!).

Is that what you have? If you do, you will have to use "moon" clips to hold the rounds together if you want to easily load or unload the gun.

The small round on the left is a .22LR. The middle fat round is a .45 ACP, and the longer one on the right is a .45 LC.
    bullet%20case%20capacity.jpg

The two rounds are NOT generally interchangeable.

And this is what the Taurus "moon" clips look like. They're relatively inexpensive, about $8 for a pack of 5 clips, and the clips are reusable:

TI0455__21607.jpg

So now the two questions:

1. What caliber is written on the side of your gun? That's the type of ammo you should be using. If the gun says ".45 Long Colt" then use that ammo. It it says .45 ACP, then you have to use that sort.

2. Who told you that you can't use the type of ammo that your gun was designed to use? That's silly.

At worst, you might have to use moon clips for easy loading and unloading.

If you don't have any moon clips, you can still load and fire the gun safely, but to unload the rounds, you'll have to poke them out of the cylinder one at a time with a pencil eraser or the like.

EDIT: Sure, there are other .45 cartridges in existence, but how many of them did Taurus chamber in titanium revolvers?

Answer: Taurus made titanium revolvers in .45ACP and .45LC. End of discussion.
  • Options
    Hardrada55Hardrada55 Member Posts: 62 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a couple of different types of .45 cartridges - off the top of my head I can think of:
    .45 Colt
    .45 ACP
    .45 GAP Glock
    .45 Auto Rim

Could you possibly be trying to load a .45 Colt cartridge in a revolver designed for the .45 ACP cartridge?
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hadra
    The 45GAP, while it won't work in a 45ACP pistol, with the moon clips, it probably would work just fine in a revolver set up for 45ACP (considering how much more $$ it is however, why would you)
    The 45AR (Auto Rimmed) is a 45ACP case with a built in rim and was designed from the get-go to be used in 45ACP revolvers (that's why the rim is so thick, to replace the moon clip)

BTW, on top of your list I can think of at least 4 more 45 auto pistol rounds, and another 6 revolver ones (none of which the OP is likely to find)