In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1892 winchester rifle 14inch barrel

hornbucklehornbuckle Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
edited July 2009 in Ask the Experts
is it possible for a model 1892 winchester rifle, to have a take down 14inch barrel? Caliber is 44wcf. ive seen the carbine with the 14 inch but with regular tube mag.

Comments

• Options
    schintzieschintzie Member Posts: 129 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello hornbuckle,

Yes, it is possible. A takedown 1892 with a 14" barrel would be a "short rifle", although many standard model 1892's have had their barrel's cut. All model 1892's came from the factory with tube magazines; what does your's have?
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/curios/1972-2007/section3.pdf

Above is a link to the ATF Curio & Relic listing. Yes, there are legit 14 and 15 inch 92s and 94s that are NOT "short barreled Rifles", and do not require registration as Class III firearms. The list has specific serial numbers that are exempted, because they were made as shortys, and it has been determined they are collector's items.
  • Options
    captkirk3@dslextreme.comcaptkirk3@dslextreme.com Member Posts: 3,804
    edited November -1
    Carl Jones of Prescott, Arizona...Retired Captain of the Arizona Fish and Game, used to Collect Winchester 92 Trapper Models..The shortest I ever saw was a Factory Model Trapper In His Collection with a 12" Barrel...I'm sure that He's gone to meet His Maker....as He was only a year or two Younger than My Step Father...H.E. MacFarland who was Dope Bag Editor and Staff Writer of the National Rifle Association's AMERICAN RIFLEMAN...Dad has been Gone for 15 years...and Jonesy was awfully Sick in His later years...so He's gotta be with His Maker By Now...
  • Options
    edited November -1
    This winchester is a 44wcf, folding rear sight 0-20, cabine front sight, it has a rifle style butt plate. it has 14inch take down barrel(round) with a half length mag tube, stock forearm messures 7 9/16 overall length is 32 1/16. From what i learned today, the flaydermans guilds says they did make such a rifle in this confiration. Im just wundering how many the batf have seen?
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the serial number on your Model 1892?

If it is less than 103329, the BATF does not care about it, as it is a pre-1899 manufacture (a.k.a. "Antique"). If the serial number is greater than 103328, then you will need a BATF letter to legally own the gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Serial # higher than 200,000. It will be sent to BATF but what if it was cut down? Will they destroy the gun? cut or plug the barrel, or not just send it back? Its been in my family for the better part of a centry, so I would hate to have it altered or destroyed!! Does anybody know of one that was cut down and sent in? What happened to the gun?
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hornbuckle, go back to my post. Click on the link in blue. That takes you to the ATF document that covers firearms that WERE regulated under the National Firearms Act, but are not now. Scroll WAY down to Winchesters. Under 1892. See if YOUR rifle is listed there- BY SERIAL NUMBER. If so, Yes, it was made like that, and NO, it does NOT require registration as a National Firearms Act Weapon- it is treated like any other firearm. IF yours was made prior to 1 Jan 1899, it is an ANTIQUE, and not treated as a firearm under Federal law.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ive already checked not there. I did contact cody museum, and they told me that the serial # up to 300 and something thousand could be verified, all other records burned in fire. He also said that the serial # higher than that where varified by atf. For example if I had a serial #700,001 and was on the atf web sight, that means some body sent that gun in and they verified it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hornbuckle
    Ive already checked not there. I did contact cody museum, and they told me that the serial # up to 300 and something thousand could be verified, all other records burned in fire. He also said that the serial # higher than that where varified by atf. For example if I had a serial #700,001 and was on the atf web sight, that means some body sent that gun in and they verified it.

If your Model 1892 is in the 200,000 serial range, then yes, you can get a factory letter for it (serial numbers up to 379,999 can be lettered). If the factory letter confirms that it has originally manufactured with a 14-inch barrel you are sitting pretty, as the B.A.T.F. will document that fact and send you a letter. You will still need to send the rifle to them (along with the Cody factory letter), but with the Cody factory letter, there is essentially 0% chance of any problems.

Now, if you rifle does not letter with a 14-inch barrel, you are S.O.L.[:(], and if you send that rifle to the B.A.T.F., you will not get it back.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Burt H you have been a big help, but I still have one problem. When I said it was over 200,000 I did'nt mean in that range percisely. Its over the 379,999 serial # range. I personaly talked to Warren Newman at cody museum, and he said there was no way he could verify the gun as correct because there are no records. So thats my problem.I have no way to find out besides send it in. I do know this to be true: My grandfather was station in Brazil at the end of WW2 and it came home with him. Its been in that same condition standing in a closet since 1945. Its never been fixed shot or cleaned in that time. So thats my real problem, its a piece of my family history so to speak,and would hate to lose it. So what are my options from this point?
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    As there are severe federal penalties ($250,000 fine & 10 years in Club Fed) for the mere possession of an unregistered, short-barrelled rifle which you can not prove was manufactured in that configuration, I would talk to an ATF-friendly attorney to discuss your options. Otherwise, you might want to get a legal 16" barrel on it as soon as possible and destroy the 14" one. JMO.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hornbuckle
    So what are my options from this point?

You do not have many options I am sorry to say. If you want to be perfectly safe & legal, you need to contact the BATF and send the rifle in to them for inspection and a letter.

The BATF is very unlikely to cause you any problems simply because you have the rifle now. Every year, a few dozen Winchester Trappers are sent in for a letter. These guns primarily come from old family collections. The BATF puts out an update to their listing at least once a year.

I would not do as Spider recommended... and would leave the original barrel on the rifle.