In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

German holster markings

upjumtddeblupjumtddebl Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
Recently picked up a Becker Hollander"Beholla" automatic pistol with what I believe is the original holster I can't post pictures so here is my best description. It is a brown leather military style flap holster with a magazine pouch sewn to the front the makers mark is 'WERKGENDOSSENSCHAFT.d.S. with the number 1917(date?) and the number 34 below it. but the one mark I'm most curious about is a large ink stamp inside the flap of the letters B.A.XI. does anyone have any ideas as to what this could be,maybe a unit number? the gun has a secondary stamp(crown with fancy scroll letter) which I have been told is a military acceptance stamp and the holster is very well fitted to the gun. thanks for any info anyone might have

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Up until the early years of the First World War, ( 1915? ). It was common for various units of the German Army to mark their firearms and equipment with what were called Regimental Markings. The markings in your holster appear similar in format to these Regimentals. The first letter "B" is commonly encountered as it was used by many different units and formations from Bavaria, which is a area of southern Germany.
  • Options
    upjumtddeblupjumtddebl Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you rufe-snow following your lead I found a full listing of German regiment marking translations on another site and the B.A.XI stands for The XI Armee Korps Beckleidungs Amt. (equipment office?) in the home district of Kassel. most grateful