In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is there an equivalent bullet for my Winchester 33

redslayer2sgrlredslayer2sgrl Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
I would like to know if there is an equivalent bullet for my Winchester 33 cal. model 86???? It is a 1920. The original ammo is very hard to come by and no one seems to really want to part with it. Bullet wise, I would love to know in length, neck and grainage if there is an equivalent that will work in the same gun that would be on the market today? Thanks for everyones help on this site. You are all remarkable!

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If your referring to the loaded cartridges rather the bullets? There are a number of what are known as custom loaders who specialize in obsolete ammo. I would start GOOGLEing using various search terms regarding custom loaded obsolete ammo. If you do find one, be prepared for sticker shock. Custom loaded ammo is pricey, not stuff you would normally use for plinking.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are no "substitute" cartridges for the 33 W.C.F., and there were just two rifles that it was ever chambered in... the Model 1886 lever-action and the Model 1885 Single Shot rifles.

If your intention is to shoot your Model 1886, you really need to consider reloading (handloading). As rufe-snow stated, there are a few custom ammo makers who will make up a batch for you, but it is exspensive.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gad's is one of those custom loaders. $30 for 20 rounds of .33 WCF.
    http://www.gadcustomcartridges.com/#obsolete

If you are a handloader, Hawk has .33s at $40 for 50 bullets only. They make different weights, but the old standard was 200 grains.
    Hornady used to make a .33 flat point correct for the lever action but no longer lists it.
    Brass can be bought or made out of .45-70, which is what I did when I had a .33.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,656 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3829,1,0,0.html
    they have some as well but at $50 a box I'd either reload or go with the stuff from gadcustom.