In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mauser 32 cal question

TopkickTopkick Member Posts: 4,452 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=166740240

Mauser-Werke AG Oberndorf a N.
Mod HSc Kal 7.65mm.

Mine has older grips though with different checkering.

Question:

I have one of these, but the one in the link says "Nazi marked."

I can't quite make out what is on the gun that is the Nazi marking.

There is a very small set of wings and a "N" underneath at the bottom /back of the triggerguard.

Is this the marking?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The marking you describe is a German commercial Proof Mark. This particular PM went into effect in 1940 during the nazi era in Germany. As it was only used until 1945 when the nazi's were defeated, it could in absolute terms be considered "nazi marked".

There are other military and paramilitary markings found on these pistols similar to the one shown on the auction. These are acceptance markings used by military inspectors, as even with the commercial Proof Marks most of these pistols were diverted to military and paramilitary use during the war.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Topkick....The HSc listed in the auction is a second generation pistol with the E/655 Waffen acceptance stamp on the left trigger guard web. There were five variations accepted into German military service. The one you have, as Rufe has said, with the Eagle over N is the German commerical proof mark so it was not in military service but certainly could be considered "Nazi marked." They were popular guns and every bit as good as the Walther PP and PPk's. Hope this helps!