In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tip Away Mount for Magnifier - M4

HalfNutzHalfNutz Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a 3x Mako magnifier mounted behind my EOTech 512 sight on my M4. I like this setup but find it a PITA to switch from CQ to medium range because I have to remove the magnifier from the rail.

My question is this: I've heard of a mount for the magnifier that allows it to 'tip' out of the way when not in use. Has anybody heard about this type of setup and where I can obtain one?

Thx

Comments

• Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do you mean a flip to side (FTS) mount? If so, Larue makes a quality FTS.

I don't know this retailer, but google Larue mounts.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/LaRue-Tactical-QD-Pivot-Mount-LT649-30T-p/larue lt 649 30 t.htm
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thx but the Larue is not compatible with the magnifier I have.
  • Options
    45forme45forme Member Posts: 948 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would google "Mako FTS" and read up. It looks like there are mounts out there, but they are questionable quality.

-Tim
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Looks like Sampson makes the best quality... just a bit spendy at $200. There is some outfit called eHobby Asia that sells a cheapie for $30. Those are the only two that I've found so-far that will work.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    A regular FTs wont work witha mako cuz its got a 1" maintube.

Get a cheap set of 1" QD throw lever scope rings that allign your magnifier properly, or a ring with a large thumb screw like the cheapy walmart weaver rings. the throw lever Makes it faster then a thumb screw ring, but either will work better then a ring with a flush hex head or small screw.

Measure the height of the ring that came with it to the center while it is attached to your rifle, then get scope rings that are about the same height...

usually tells how tall rings are on the package, so when you got looking, the right ones shouldnt be hard to find.

EDIT

I was thinking that they had 1" tubes, Maybe the older ones did, or maybe I'm thinking of another brand of cheaper magnifer I saw.. In anycase folw the same instructions, but get a 30MM "xtra high" rings generally line up with the sight window of the 512, but still best to measure to be safe .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My Mako is 30mm. Both the product specifications that came with it as well as my dial caliper show this to be true.

Maybe there was an old-style Make that had a 1" tube. I don't know since this is all new to me.