In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Inspecting Firearms

Captain_BijusCaptain_Bijus Member Posts: 9 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
I used to be able to check out a pistol or rifle bore just holding a clean patch at one end and using ambient light. Now my eyes have changed (old age and treachery will overcome...)and I am unable to see or focus using this method. I thought to buy a "bore light" but all of the customer reviews on the low-end products seem to say they are junk. I want to be able to inspect a bore at gun shows and pawn shops. What are the options?

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    chinese tool store had LED light on flexible stalk it is in my pocket or bag when gun hunting
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    WalMart sells a little LED flashlight with a flexible neck for around $3-$4. It makes a great bore light.
  • Options
    gary wraygary wray Member Posts: 4,663
    edited November -1
    Captain_Bijus.......thanks for your question. I never leave home without a bore light when I am on a gun trip, show, shooting, et al. As for them being "junk" I have about a dozen of them, most are different and none is "junk." Heck, how can one screw up a simple bore light? It either works and shines a light or it doesn't. Simple, effective, cheap. Put fresh batteries in it and "go." None cost over $10.
  • Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have one that fits over the end of a small "mag-light" flash light. Has a flexible fiber optic tube about 12" long. works well for me and my old eyes
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dollar General stores have little flex neck LED light/ laser w/ magnetic base for $2.50
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just use a $1 white LED flashlight that fits on my keychain. Something like this:

Photon-Micro-Light-1-Keychain-LED-Flashlight.gif

If you've never used one, these are surprisingly bright. You turn it on, stick the tip of the light into one end of the barrel, and put your eye up to the other.

This may not be quite as easy to use as a special borelight that fits all the way inside the barrel, but its cheap, works fine, and (best of all) is always with me.