In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Getting back into reloading

djh860djh860 Member Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
I'm thinking of getting back into shotshell reloading. I was in HS when I last did it. 30 years ago. I live in MA. Any ideas on where I should start to discover if permits are needed to have and store smokeless powder.

When I was young it saved me a great deal of $$$. For shooting trap and skeet is it still a good value?

Comments

• Options
    Mort4570Mort4570 Member Posts: 472 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    these days saving money on shotshell reloading is very hard to do.UNLESS you are comparing the high priced 'good stuff' to your shells.compared to the 'cheap on sale ' stuff,you'll be lucky to save .50 a box unless you buy in huge qty on the components.

that said,if u like doing it,what the heck.money isn't everthing.

as to regs,I'd check with your local fire dept .
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I'm fairly sure there are no regs about reloading for your own consumption, but in Mass., who knows?

I disagree though on Mort's assesment of value. Say you are buying retail. That would be about 10 cents a round for shot, 3.5 cents for the primer, 5 cents for the powder, and 4 cents a round for the wad. Assuming you have a stash of hulls on hand to start, that's 22.5 cents per shot, or $5.63 per box.

Again, that's if you pay top dollar for the shot at a retail location. I order reclaimed shot online for far less.

My local Wally World charges $6.50 per box of their cheapest stuff. That's a 90 cent savings per box, even figuring top dollar.

You get into reclaimed shot and buying homemade shot from guys with the proper equipment, you can often get it for about half of retail. So that would bring your cost down to 17.5 cents per shot, or $4.38 a box. Saving over $2 a box. That adds up quickly if you even shoot 1-2 boxes a week.

now if you only go shooting once a year, don't bother.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't comment on every detail, but simply getting reloading components INTO the State of MA can be difficult because of the AG "regulations".

Also, you'll need at least an MA firearms ID card or LTC to legally possess ANY reloading components (even empty shells!), though I don't think any other paperwork is necessary just to POSSESS the components.