In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bert Please,Win.94..(pic heavy)

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,063 ******
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
Bert, will you please give me as much info. on this gun as you can ? Would love to have... DOM,location manufactrd., Please rate it, and estimtd. value. I know the 'loop' is not original. Dad put that on when he got the gun back in 60ish. Everything else is original as he got it. Thank you in advance, Joe.
001.jpg

003-2.jpg

004-1.jpg

002-3.jpg

005.jpg
006-2.jpg

007-2.jpg

008.jpg

012.jpg

010.jpg

009-1.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hello Joe,

Well, for starters, it was manunfactured in November of 1938.

There are several issues that will detract from the collectability and value;

(1) The stocks have been sanded... and refinished (varnished). The butt stock is noticeably undersized where it mates to the upper tang and frame.
    (2) The rear sight elevator is not original (it is from a Marlin).
    (3) The large loop is not orginal (as you mentioned).
    (4) The finish on the receiver frame is less than 15%.

All of the above essentially remove it from the collector's purview, and make it essentially a "shooter".

As for the value, I do not know what someone would be willing to pay for it, but I suspect you could get at least $500 for it.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Bert. It is still a shooter. Wife got her first ever deer, on her first ever hunt (3 yrs. ago) using this,(her daady's) gun. As you can guess that was a wonderful, wonderful hunt, to us of course the gun is priceless.[:)][:)][:)] Thank you so much for for info.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    You are most welcome[:)].
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After reading your reply, the wife now wants to have it re-blued to prevent rust and pitting. Preserve the gun (a shooter), and memories we have. It will probably take the value further down from a collectors stand,but, we just learned its not collectable now and further rust will too decrease value. I'm thinking I agree to have it re-blued professionally to make it look nice again and preserve what we have. Your thoughts ?? Coin toss ?? Thank you.
  • Options
    ruger41ruger41 Member Posts: 14,651 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it were me I would not have it reblued for a few reasons.
    1. You can prevent anymore rust/pitting with cautious application of rust preventative sprays/oils--and by storing it properly(not in a sheepskin case).
    2. Very few gunsmiths today will be able to replicate the older style bluing-and the ones that can will charge you a lot more than that gun is worth to do the job.
    3. the gun already has a history as a meat getter--it already has the scars of hunting camp--why spend the money to reblue it to rescar it up?

4 it has CHARACTER--and a reblue will not increase it's monetary value--if you really really want to do it then call a place like Ford's_it's around $300 for a reblue on a long gun from them--you can of course do the home cold blue but it's not going to look great-it will just look reblued

It is your gun and you can do as you see fit but I would just keep it clean and oiled and hunt with it for the next 20 years[;)]

http://www.fordsguns.com/
  • Options
    BigLoop22BigLoop22 Member Posts: 620 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Joe,

[:)]You & your wife have a beautiful rifle. Please, consider leaving it exactly the way it is. ...just clean it, and oil it, and shoot it... [;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I agree... leave it exactly as it is. Preventing rust is very easy to do... simply keep it clean and dry, and if it does get wet, dry it as soon as possible and apply a very light coat of fresh gun oil to the steel surfaces only. If you do develop any problem spots, use Kroil and 0000 steel wool to gently remove the oxidation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you one and all.
  • Options
    ZilchZilch Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nice rifle Joe. Bring it over so your wife and shoot a bear with it.

Your friend in Idaho (with a new name here)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    ZILCHHHHHHHHHHHHHH [:)][:)][:)][:)] So good to see you here. Welcome, welcome.