In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

state handgun laws

joannasayzjoannasayz Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
right now I'm residing in Evanston, IL, but originally I hailed from Los Angeles, CA. from what I've gathered, it is possible to obtain a handgun even if your identification do not quite meet the desired specifications in order for the proposal to be cleared by the law (depending on the state).

so given that i already possess a valid CA state drivers license, as well as some official identification in the form of a passport, does anyone have any experiences or recommendations pertaining to how i might be able to obtain a handgun in a state where i lack state ID or proof of residency without causing too many impossible complications? current situation: right now I'm residing in Evanston, IL, but originally I hailed from Los Angeles, CA which is where my valid driver's license belongs to. from what I've gathered, it's possible to obtain a handgun even if one's identifications do not quite meet the desired specifications in order for the proposal to be cleared by the law (depending on the state). given that i own a valid CA state drivers license, as well as some official identification in the form of a passport, does anyone have any experiences or recommendations pertaining to how i might be able to obtain a handgun without running into excessive red tap and maybe avoid causing too many complications? well, any tips regarding how one might go about this issue would be much appreciated! any valid sources or tried and true methods should please be forwarded to my personal e-mail address whenever possible, which is:[url="mailto:"]jobball25@aol.com[/url]

thanks for your time and help,
joanna

Comments

• Options
    MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok, so let me get this straight! You now live in IL, but you use to live in California. You never gave up your CA license when you moved to IL, and now you want to use your CA license to buy a handgun in IL? Number 1 you will need a FOID card. Number 2 you will need a valid ID. Your CA license is NOT a valid ID. You don't live there anymore. You need to get a current IL ID card and a FOID.
  • Options
    Spider7115Spider7115 Member, Moderator Posts: 29,714 ******
    edited November -1
    You can download a FOID card application here: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/illinois.pdf
  • Options
    511pe511pe Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Firearms are the responsibility of the state as far as who may obtain, how to obtain, carry, transport, store, after the federal laws are satisfied. You need a legal residence in a state to where you purchase a firearm. There has been legal issues in some states like NY with new state residents carrying out of state obtained firearms mainly handguns and bringing them in their state that all who are there are subjected to. A US citizen has the duty to know all laws of the land they are in. Ignorance is not an excuse or a defense. When a person is charged with fundamentally or specifically violating a law the person is charged with knowledge there of. Lots of people like students, military, travelers who don't want to lease a rental car for long stays seem to think that's it's alright to have another person mail them a registration decal so they don't register their vehicle in the state that is now their legal residence carrying out of state auto insurance & driver's licenses. Problem is law enforcers frown at it, especially if the out of state registered vehicle is involved in an accident fatality. Then there's the auto insurance nightmare, because a person failed to validly establish residency and lived in another state this person may not have insurance coverage in terms of inter-local laws depending on legal opinions, practices,fundamentals, and specifics. It isn't wise to enter a court of law with dirty hands. Also because of it, it opens probable cause to detain a person to say the least. Some criminals target out of state tourists by means of an out of state license plate. My question is what's the passport for? Are you a diplomat or consulate? You know carrying a handgun & not having proof of state residency being a resident is a bad idea all together. You need a valid legal state issued ID to purchase a firearm. What if you weren't who you seem to be and a licensed dealer got caught selling to someone who just walked over state lines just to walk back to do some thing illegal?
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sorry Joanna, but habitual drug users are prohibited by federal law from possessing any firearm.

I say this, not because I'm mean-spirited, but because I am able to recognize the symptoms. Your complex -- but incoherent -- reasoning for enlisting our aid in committing a federal felony indicates that you have a severe problem.

I urge you to get professional help. If you need assistance locating it in Evanston, please contact me by email.

Neal
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bro. Myers, you may be right![8D]

And as 55840 said- by FEDERAL law, you may only purchase a HANDGUN in the state where you are a legal resident. By attempting to do so, you are commiting a serious crime. By soliciting aid from folks here to do that, you seek to make them an accessory before the fact- which carries the same penalty as the crime. Also known as conspiracy.

That is not a nice thing to do- so stop it.

511- you need paragraphs! And no, you do not need to be a diplomat or consul to have a passport- just an American citizen that travels outside the US.
  • Options
    bingeebobbingeebob Member Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    in order for your desire to be fulfilled, you should begin and complete the process of obtaining an IL identification to meet the desired specifications in order for the proposal to be cleared by the law. From my experience, my recommendation is as follows, in order for the proposal to be cleared by law you must meet the legal requirements set forth by the state of Illinois and obtain the necessary legal documents to legally prove your residency in the state of Illinois. Your California drivers licence will need to be surrendered in order to meet the desired specifications in order for the proposal to be cleared by law, and it should no longer be used by you as a form of identification in your new state of residency, which is Illinois. Your local DMV should be able to assist you in gathering the required documents to obtain a new drivers licence. In order to meet the desired specifications in order for the proposal to be cleared by the law regarding the Illinois drivers licence you may need to prove that you are in fact a resident of the state of Illinois, documents such as a utility bill, rental agreement, employment contract or other such pertinent legal documents may or may not meet the desired specifications in order for the proposal to be cleared by the law in Illinois. Once you have established legal residency in the state of Illinois, it is my understanding that you may need to obtain a FOID card, which may or may not have it's own legal steps and requirements to obtain, an application can be downloaded, filled out and sent in with the attached legal documents required by the state of Illinois. Once you have obtained identification and legal resident status of the state of Illinois, along with a valid FOID card you may proceed to a local firearms retailer. Once at your local firearms retailer you may select the handgun of your choice, present your legal documents and FOID card along with you cash, and whatever other requirements are needed by a licensed firearms dealer in the state of Illinois in order to purchase a handgun. Once all of these steps and requirements have been fulfilled, you may quite possibly obtain a handgun in the state of Illinois, thus meeting the desired specifications of your proposal. in order for your desire to be fulfilled, you should begin and complete the process of obtaining an IL identification to meet the desired specifications in order for the proposal to be cleared by the law. From my experience, my recommendation is as follows, in order for the proposal to be cleared by law you must meet the legal requirements set forth by the state of Illinois and obtain the necessary legal documents to legally prove your residency in the state of Illinois. Your California drivers licence will need to be surrendered in order to meet the desired specifications in order for the proposal to be cleared by law, and it should no longer be used by you as a form of identification in your new state of residency, which is Illinois. Your local DMV should be able to assist you in gathering the required documents to obtain a new drivers licence. In order to meet the desired specifications in order for the proposal to be cleared by the law regarding the Illinois drivers licence you may need to prove that you are in fact a resident of the state of Illinois, documents such as a utility bill, rental agreement, employment contract or other such pertinent legal documents may or may not meet the desired specifications in order for the proposal to be cleared by the law in Illinois. Once you have established legal residency in the state of Illinois, it is my understanding that you may need to obtain a FOID card, which may or may not have it's own legal steps and requirements to obtain, an application can be downloaded, filled out and sent in with the attached legal documents required by the state of Illinois. Once you have obtained identification and legal resident status of the state of Illinois, along with a valid FOID card you may proceed to a local firearms retailer. Once at your local firearms retailer you may select the handgun of your choice, present your legal documents and FOID card along with you cash, and whatever other requirements are needed by a licensed firearms dealer in the state of Illinois in order to purchase a handgun. Once all of these steps and requirements have been fulfilled, you may quite possibly obtain a handgun in the state of Illinois, thus meeting the desired specifications of your proposal.

Or I could have said, become a legal resident, get an FOID card, and buy a gun from a dealer.

The English language is best used when as few words as possible are used to communicate a thought completely.
  • Options
    bigbossmanbigbossman Member Posts: 154 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brother Myers seems to have a valid point. In fact, it may be advisable for the moderator or whomever to pull this entire thread before it backfires on GB. Everyone knows how much the Feds hate forums like this, and gun sales in general. No point in giving them an opening to plug away at.......... My 2 cents for your consideration........
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Also because of immigration, that being if a person immigrated from some country to somewhere else a person must renounce their citizenship from where they came even though that persons culture is celebrated and diversity is greatly welcomed. You must be a citizen to have a handgun. It maybe if a person goes go back, they may have to establish citizenship all over prior to purchasing a handgun. A passport was mentioned. So it's almost essential to have a current valid legal ID. Also in the state of FL, a person must produce a certificate of live birth along with the other usual things to renew any driver's license. So I'm a little curious about the email address provided and what appears to be grammatical errors although my grammar isn't good either. What do you mean you hailed from a place... what is hailed mean? Are you a diplomat or consulate?
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote: You must be a citizen to have a handgun

No, you don't. My wife is a British subject, and a permanent resident of the US. That is known as a resident alien. It is perfectly legal for her to buy a firearm. She has also held a concealed weapons license. Please read the Federal law- its 18 USC 922.

And the term is consul. A consultate is a building. Why do you assume that having a passport makes a person an alien? Mine is in my computer bag right now. If I take a business trip outside the US, I must have a US Passport.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sir, honestly, I meant no harm. I apologize. Please forgive me. Consulates if I spelled it correctly are said to be exempt from criminal infractions like delegates state license plates are issued as such.