In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope reticle ?

Just TimJust Tim Member Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
Which reticle is best? It will be used for hunting and shooting paper targets. Tim

Comments

• Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    It is going to be personal preference. There is no "best".

I prefer the MP-8 Dot reticle from IOR.

Bean I prefer the MP-8 DOT which is different then the MP-8. The dot is very quick and easy to pick up while being accurate at the same time.

MP-8Dot.jpg

MP-8 Dot Reticule

We upgraded our standard MP-8 with a .25 moa dot in the center for greater precision. This reticule is the most requested reticule in our line and is hard to beat. Same speces as the original, it illuminates red and continues to dominate the target/tactical market. Try it and you won't use anything else.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Best" is highly subjective and mostly a matter of personal preference.

The one you like best is best.

My personal favorite is the simple duplex crosshair. That's probably the most popular reticle overall, and I think its an excellent choice for both hunting and shooting paper targets. If you don't have a strong preference, I'd say start with that.

Some people like mil-dots to aid in ranging, though it does take some practice to get use to using them.

More specialized reticles have their uses, but they are also generally more cluttered and may not work well with a variety of loads. If your shooting is specialized enough that you could use something like this, you'll probably know it without having to ask!

Here are some of the Leupold reticles:
    leopold-reticles.jpg

Edit: This is the Mp8 reticle NWCID likes; its basically a duplex with added mil-markers and the lower post eliminated to make the target easier to see. I can definitely see why this one is attractive:

usaoptics-store_2041_14262503

Edit #2: Whoops (see above). I have to say I like the dot one better. In general a lot of this is going to do with the kind of shooting you are doing. Its probably fair to say that the majority of shooters do the majority of their shooting inside 200 yards. In my opinion, for that sort of shooting, "less is more". Reticle ranging systems shine when you have to take shots over a variety of ranges, though they do have a learning curve to get used to.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Just Tim
    Which reticle is best? It will be used for hunting and shooting paper targets. Tim

Whichever one suits you. I dont get into all of the self compensating ones like the Boone and Crocket by leupold or the BDC by Nikon myself but hey, if you like it and want to learn how to use them go ahead. There is no "best" reticle, they all have their purposes but I believe the best is to get a standard duplex and learn to shoot[;)]
  • Options
    Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Like mentioned, there is no best. Depends on the person and application. My personal favorite is the German #1 "Post."

Jon
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Agree with posters above.

For 200 yards and less I use either fine plex or duplex from Leupold, 3-9s are plenty.

For up to 600 yards, I currently use Leupold's VIII B&C an and Burris' FFII BP, both in 4.5-14s.

Below are links to other types of reticles to add in your decision making.

http://www.horusvision.com/reticles.php (this might be too busy)

http://www.hollandguns.com/

Good luck!

Ed
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have been given some excellent information already. If you are new to scopes, or good scopes, don't make your reticle to busy. For most instances the Nikon BDC, Burris Ballistic Plex, or Leupold Boone and Crockett, are about as complex as you want to get.

That said, I prefer a reticle I can use to estimate range with, like the Mil-Dot, and some that are based on the MOA measurement. The higher end scopes will allow you to use them at the high end of magnification, where as the more cost effective scopes have a magnification setting that you are supposed to use for ranging.

For most big game chamberings like 243, 260, 25-06, 30-06, 270, 280, the 7mm, 30 cal, and 338 cal magnums, if you sight in 2 inches high at 100 yards, out to 300 yards on a mature deer if you hold dead center on the chest, the deer will have a leak after you pull the trigger.

Hope this helps.

Best
  • Options
    laogailaogai Member Posts: 309 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    for hunting i really like german 4

naturally centers target while providing good visibility of the critter
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like a variation of the German #1 with flat topped, tapered post and crosshair to help reduce cant.
    the bold post is fast to pick up and contrasts well against backgrounds in hunting conditions.
    I have several with flat topped posts which I prefer over the pointed post of the illustration which tends to fade, introducing elevation issues.
    A bold squared off top remains clear and sharp and is easy to estimate the posts'center. Note that handgun front sights used to be knife blade thin till it was discovered that a fat (1/10") blade shot better targets,
    "Busy" reticules may be best for long range shooting, sniping and at the range.
    I never liked hiding that part of a target I'm shooting at with a dot or intersection of horizontal and vertical wires.
    Sitting the POI on top of a post suits me best.