In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

disc on Swedish Mauser

elubsmeelubsme Member Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in Ask the Experts
I am interested in buying the 6.5 rifle listed on the auction side, #166091781. I know that the armory disc inletted in the stock tells the condition of the rifle. I have forgotten how to read it though. Thanks for any help. E.Z.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you Nononsence, I was able to decipher the disc. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. I also learned a lot that I didn't know from the other site.[:D] Eddie
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are we sure on translation of the meaning of bore diameter in the large sector?
    I thought it was a measure of throat erosion determined by a "Breech Bore gage".
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    v35,

All of my references have the same definition of bore/groove diameter.

If you have another or different citation you should post it.

Best.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Can't put my finger on an exhaustive article that I filed away somewhere.
    Those bore dimensions don't make sense defining a groove diameter that may range between .253 and .259 for shooting a .256 dia jacketed bullet.
    We know the 96 Swedes have a reputation for accuracy which I believe they wouldn't have with a bore range of six thousandths.
    I think this factor needs verification.
    And what would be the purpose of posting bore diameter on an inspection disc?
    In addition to classifying extent of corrosion, barrel wear measurement is essential and we do that in measuring the advance of throat erosion using a tapered plug gage known as a Breech Bore Gage.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told the the inner numbers on the disc were the groove diameter and the outer numbers on the disc was the bore diameter.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At what point of the barrel?
    Erosion and enlargement of firearms initiates in the throat area and advances forward in the barrel.
    A calibrated tapered plug gage inserted in the breech will indicate the advance as well as the diameter at some established point. Being tapered it will go deeper in the bore as the throat or leade enlarges.
    Again, we need a definitive reference from a Swedish source as I'm convinced the meaning was lost in translation from Swedish.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    v35 The 6.5/55 shoots a .264 diameter bullet, not .256. Nominal groove diameter is .256. E.Z.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Right you are, so the disc is indicating bore (lands) wear or advance of the rifling due to erosion since units indicated on the disc are well below groove diameter. Bore being defined as the diameter of a rifle barrel before rifling is cut: 6.5mm = .257" while groove diameter is about.264, the diameter of the bullet.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    v35,

"Again, we need a definitive reference from a Swedish source as I'm convinced the meaning was lost in translation from Swedish."

"Can't put my finger on an exhaustive article that I filed away somewhere."

It seems to me that there are many qualified references to offset suppositions. However, if you are of the opinion that they are all wrong, then the burden of proof is on your shoulders. I for one would really like to read the the article you mention as it would add to my understanding of one of the Mauser variants. I'm very interested so I would encourage you to search out that article and share it with us.

Other than that, numbers are numbers and bore/groove dimensions get bantered around without regard to real fact in many situations. The numbers in question are available throughout the internet and in many of the firearms, ballistics and gunsmithing books which we all use. I suggest using something that has a historic perspective since that will get you the proper time frame for proper measurements. Too many current references quote current standardized dimensions rather than original factory dimensions.

Best.